Chapter Twenty-One: Taking Chances

"Ok that was better!" Jules shouted across the distance separating us, the tree beside her burning into ashes of blood red. Smoke rose and disappeared from the palms of my hands as beads of perspiration began to form and drip down. "You need to put a little more in it though Cay!"

I did nothing but nod.

Taking a deep breath, I let all the energy I had left drain to my hands where I needed to make a withstanding fireball, letting every ounce of power that had come to me in the last twelve hours to form one of the four elements. I took complete control, and without another thought, shot it outwards.

I grinned when it hit the furthest tree in the field.

Jules and I had been practicing the strength of my powers sin ce the early morning, whilst our three brothers had gone out in search of Jonathan. It was the best we could do right now; If there was gonna be a fight between us, we had to find him first.

So far, Jules and I had gone over all the necessary demon basics: creating illusions, mind control, materializing fire-balls, weapons, and keeping an eye on your enemy during battle.

There was no way I'd be taking chances with him.

Not when Rachel was in such danger.

"You wanna break for now?" Jules panted, running from where she'd been standing over to me. I nodded, dusting my hands down. We walked relaxingly out of the field we'd been practicing in to the hotel we were staying at, and once in our room called for room service.

After washing up I dried my hands just as the maid came up with our food: piping hot roast dinner full of vegetables, various meats, potatoes and gravy, plus a dessert of blueberry pie.

The pie had been Jules' idea.

"Who invented that rule about Sunday Roast?" Jules pondered as she took a scoop of mash and devoured it. We were both seated around the luxurious dining table situated in the room beside the bedroom, and were both digging in to our dinner. We'd been talking about practice, how it had gone and whether or not I'd be ready for Jonathan. Her question had been completely out of the blue, and that was what had caused me to cock my eyebrow up at her.

Despite her randomness, I gave her my answer. "I think it was something to do with the fact that Sunday was the only day of the week the whole family could be together, much like Christmas Day. But they'd cook a much smaller version of the dinner otherwise the traditional Christmas Roast dinner would become too common, if you get what I mean?" I said, eating the meal in front of me. Jules just smiled, but never replied to me.

"Why do you ask?" I said a few minutes later after silence settled in the room. Again, my only sister smiled.

"Only you Caleb would know something like that," she said smiling a genuine smile. He eyes warmed but I didn't understand. She sighed, giggling a little. "You're the only demon to know such trivial things about the Living race, and even if they aren't true to you have the common sense of a Living to rationalise an answer. You really do belong here brother."

I was about to ask her to carry on, but the twins and Seth barged in looking rather out of breath.

"We found him!" They shouted, trying their hardest not to pass out as they leant on the door frame for support. Elias looked very red, and I wondered just how hard they were beginning to find it now they had the strength and stamina of an average Living.

Ignoring their well being though, Jules and I were up from our seats and followed our brothers from our room to the lobby to a bench outside around the corner from our hotel. There was a young woman was sitting there waiting for us.