Ch 14--Apologies and Threats

Evan stood at his locker, replacing the books he didn't need with the ones he needed for the next couple classes when he felt someone tap on his shoulder.

He flinched and looked over, not sure who to expect.

A remorseful Jared looked down at him.

"Evan, hi."

"Jared." Evan nodded to his family friend and grabbed the book he needed before shutting his locker and turning away.

"Evan, come on, talk to me, please?"

"No. Why would I d-do that after you l-left me?"

"It wasn't my fault! They were gonna beat me!" Jared whispered.

Evan turned around and faced Jared.

"Well wh-what do you th-think they did to m-me?"

Jared frowned and looked down.

Evan grabbed his arm and pulled him into the supply closet they had conveniently stopped in front of. He groped the wall for the light switch and turned it on.

"Evan, wh-what--"

"Th-this is what they did to me."

Evan pulled his shirt up, revealing his bruised chest that had started turning green. It was truly terrible to look at.

Jared sucked in a breath and a tear fell down his cheek. He looked down at the floor.

"Evan, I-I'm so sorry." He said.

"Yeah, me too." Evan put his hand on the door handle, preparing to leave before he turned back and faced Jared. Jared looked up, a sad, confused look on his face. Evan never confronted people. "I am too, know why? I th-thought that even though you only said you wanted me for your insurance, I still hoped that you were just kidding, you know? Keeping up appearances, you k-know? But deep down, I thought you were actually my friend." Evan stepped outside. "Guess I was wrong."

Jared tried to stop him but Evan shut the door, ignoring his pleas.

Evan felt like crying but he knew if he did, some bully would make fun of him.

He already was given extra attention in the halls because of what Connor did. He wasn't an idiot. He heard people whisper his name when he walked past. He just tried to ignore it because he hated the attention.

He was looking at the floor, clutching his books to his chest when he connected with something solid and ended up on the ground.

His books went flying and he fell on his butt, groaning.

When he looked up, Ferb Gunner was sneering down at him.

"Ah, Evan. Back for more I see?" He taunted. Ferb kneeled down so he was on Evans level. "The other day wasn't enough for you? You already want to go again?" Ferb cracked his knuckles loudly, smirking when Evan flinched. "I knew you were a baby."

Ferb stood and kicked Evan right in the chest, knocking him flat onto his back. Evan grunted as the air was pushed from his chest and just laid on the floor until Ferb and his posse had laughed at him long enough. The bell rang and everyone scattered.

Evan sighed, wincing as he tried to sit up. That last encounter agitated his bruises again. They'd take forever to heal at this rate.

He began picking up his stuff when one of the binders magically began floating near his face. He looked up and saw it was actually connected to a hand, which connected to an arm that belonged to one Connor Murphy.

Evan smiled and took his book from him.

"Thanks."

Connor nodded.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I j-just fell." Evan shrugged, not looking at Connor.

Connor sighed.

"Evan, I thought we were friends. You don't have to lie to me anymore. What happened?"

Evan frowned and looked at Connors face. That was enough for Connor to know.

His face hardened and he growled.

"I'm gonna kill that son of a--"

"C-Con, no. Please." Evan put his hand on Connors arm. "J-just drop it. I c-can handle it."

"Yeah, clearly you can as all of your belongings got thrown around the hallway and he tossed you around like a rag doll!" Connor hissed.

Evan sighed.

"It's okay." Evan looked up at him. "You already punched him in the cafeteria. He's g-going to go after you, too. I d-don't want anyone getting hurt just for my sake."

Evan stood up.

"I'll meet you by my car after my appointment in the ally later okay?" Connor ignored Evans protests as he walked to class.

***

Hi everyone! Sorry i didn't update yesterday, one of my friends invited me up to his cabin for the day so I left pretty early and didn't get home till late. I was hoping to add more to this, but I wanted to post something, so I hope this short chapter is okay. :) have a great week! Good luck to everyone who's finishing up their school year and taking exams soon, I believe in you!!
~hamilfan123987