Ch 28-The Rescue

Evan was panicking. What would he do? Connor's eyes were glassy and unfocused and after quirking one of his eyebrows up, he just passed out.

Evan turned and ran to Cynthia. Ferb laughed, not having seen her, just thinking Evan had run away.

"They don't know you're here. Go wait for the cops. You know where they are now. It'll help get them here faster."

"Evan, I-"

"Please? It's the best thing for Connor. I can handle this."

Cynthia looked at his determined face and sighed. She turned around and Evan went back to confront Ferb.

"Stop it!" Evan cried, everyone's attention returning to him. "He's already unconscious. You're going to kill him!"

"Would you rather take his place?" Ferb questioned.

Evan gulped. He had to do something. He had no idea when the police were coming. At least they had that element of surprise, but if Ferb kept hurting Connor, he would probably die.

"You see, Evan, your boyfriend is a genuinely good guy." Evan furrowed his eyebrows. Ferb continued. "He saw Jared over here getting pounded and offered to take his place. So you see? It's not my fault. I'm just respecting his wishes."

Jared was here, too? This was worse than he thought. What was he getting himself into? Could he rescue everyone?

Ferb snapped his fingers and Jared, gagged and blindfolded was shoved forward into the dirt.

"So what's it gonna be Tree Boy? You gonna be a hero or the loser I know you are?"

Evans hands were shaking. Maybe he could stall a couple more minutes and the police would arrive.

Evan tried to talk, tried to come up with something to say to draw Ferb's attention, but his mind was blank. He had to do something! Tears of frustration welled up in his eyes and he tried to blink them back.

"Aww, look!" Ferb cooed. "The baby's crying again." Everyone laughed. Maybe his mom had been right. Maybe he wasn't ready to be an adult, to solve real problems.

But then he remembered her apology. He remembered how she told him she only knew the old him. He remembered how Cynthia knew the minute they met that Evan was ready and could handle himself. He could do it. He'd have to.

"You'll never get away with this, Ferb." That's what the heroes always said. Maybe Evan could buy the police and Cynthia some time. It worked in the movies. And this felt like a movie.

Ferb laughed. He nodded his head to the side and two guys suddenly appeared on either side of him and grabbed both his arms. No no no, that was supposed to distract him!

"Evan, Evan, Evan. You're no hero." Ferb moved towards him as he struggled to get free. "You're just some pathetic little homo who needs protecting. But guess what?" Ferb punched him in the gut and he groaned. "No one is here to protect you. You're not capable of handling yourself." Ferb rained down blows and insults on Evan, but he wasn't listening. He was trying to manage the pain, and focused on that instead.

When Ferb realized he wasn't reacting anymore, he stopped.

"Tie him up over there." He instructed two of his guys. Evan went limp as they dragged him over. One of the guys let go to grab some rope, and Evan used that as his chance. He knocked his head into the guys face and when he let go, Evan punched the other guy. Both of them went down.

"This has gone far enough, Ferb. Just let the three of us go, and we can move on with our lives."

Ferb smirked.