Ch 23--You Should See the Other Guy

**tw: talk of depression and cutting. Msg me if you need information or ever need to talk about something I love you all**

Conor returned Zoe's phone to her, and she tried her hardest to get answers from him, but he refused to let her get involved.

"Dude, what happened to your face?" Zoe asked once Connor's hood slipped away from where it was covering his cuts and bruises.

"Nothing, it's not a big deal."

He tried to leave, but Zoe wasn't having any of it.

"Let me help." She led him to the bathroom and helped him clean up his eye. "That looks painful." she said after throwing the bloodstained towel away.
Connor shrugged.

"You should see the other guy," he teased, then winced.

"Do you have any more injuries?"

"No, I'm fine." He stood up from the edge of the bathtub where he'd been perched, but Zoe pushed him back down.

"If I poke you in the chest, you're not going to be in pain, right?"

Connor sighed.

"Fine, I got into a fight." Connor could see a scolding written all over her face, so he added, "It was to protect Evan."

Her self-righteous speech died right on her lips.

"Oh." She frowned. "I don't quite know what to do with that. Maybe...stay out of trouble?" She shook her head. "Take off your shirt, I want to see how bad you look."

"No, Zoe, I have to go wait for Evan. He's coming over soon, and--"

"Connor Michael Murphy, listen to me. Let me help you." Her eyes were brimming with tears and he sighed. He knew this was her way of saying 'I love you', and that she cares about him, but he was really anxious that Evan would show up and Ferb would make it to him before Connor.

"Okay, but try to be quick."

Connor removed his sweatshirt and Zoe cleaned up the cuts. She put bandages on the ones that needed it, and, holding a finger up to signal she needed a minute, turned around to the medicine cabinet and came back with a couple tylenol. She filled a little paper cup with water and handed them to Connor.

"For the bruises." Connor nodded gratefully and took the medicine.

They walked out of the bathroom together.

"Thanks, Zo. I'm sorry if I'm not always the best brother, but..."

"I know. It's okay." She smiled. "Now I think I just heard a car pull up, go see if Evan's out there. I've missed him being around here. And I'm sure you have too." she winked at him.

He forgot that Zoe knew they liked each other, but he had nothing to say, so he just ran downstairs and saw Evan being pushed out of Jared's car. His bag was on the front lawn and he was yelling at Jared. It was just beginning to rain. Connor quickly grabbed the bag and got Evan's attention.

"Hey, we need to get inside. Thanks, Jared."

"Anytime, dude. Call me later if you need anything."

Evan whirled around on Connor.

"This was y-your doing?" Connor never thought he'd see Evan Hansen anything close to angry, but he looked like a mildly upset puppy and it made Connor want to kiss him senseless.

"Yes, I'll explain everything later. Can we go inside please?"

Connor grabbed Evan's hand and pulled him towards the door. He pushed Evan through before scanning the block to see if Ferb was anywhere around. The block was quiet, so hopefully they acted before Ferb was able to figure out the plan. Connor shut and locked the door behind him.