Ch 19--It Can't Be Us

For the first time, Connor actually followed all the traffic laws. He obeyed the speed limit, stopped for at least two seconds at stop signs. He didn't turn on red, and never went around a slower vehicle.

He was stalling. He didn't want to get to Evans.

The rest of his conversation with Ferb didn't go as well as he'd hoped.

"You need to break up with Evan."

Connor stared at him for a second before bursting out laughing.

"You idiot. Evan and I aren't, we're not..we aren't dating."

"Not this again. Please for the sake of time just stop protesting it. You're gay, Hansen is gay, and you're both gay for each other. I know this, you know this, we all know, Murphy. So cut the crap and stop wasting my time. Break. Up. With. Him. Right now."

"But..."

"No questions. He lives around here, go to his house now and do it."

Connor pulled up in front of Evans house. He saw Evan's mom through the window, getting ready to leave. Connor pulled away and went around the block, parking a couple houses away from the Hansen's house so she wouldn't notice him. Connor thought it might be better to do it after she was gone. Evan still wasn't really talking to his mother so she probably didn't even know Evan was in a relationship.

And it looks like she wouldn't have to.

Ms Hansen left the house and a couple minutes later, Connor worked up the nerve. To unbuckle his seat belt.

He groaned and put his hands in his head.

How was he supposed to do this? Evan was the light of his life, the only person he loved and trusted. How was he going to tell him in all seriousness that they should break up when they only just recently started dating. This was going to crush Evan. He was just beginning to trust Connor after all he'd suffered under his reign. Things were finally working out. Why did this have to happen?

Maybe because if he didn't do this, Evan would die? Ferb made it very clear what would happen if this break up didn't occur. Connor was to text him after it was done and Ferb didn't seem like a very patient guy.

Connor got out of his car and walked up to the doorway, determinedly knocking on the door.

Hesitantly Evan opened it up.

"Connor! You're back? But you dropped me off a couple hours ago, what are you doing here?" Connor opened his mouth to say it but Evan cut him off. "Not that I'm not excited, I am, but I just-"

"Evan we need to talk."

Maybe it was the sullenness in his voice or the way he wouldn't look him in the eyes or the fact that he called him Evan, not Tree Boy, but Evan got the hint that this was something serious and stopped rambling. He let Connor inside and nervously made his way to the couch.

"Wh-what's wrong, Con? Did something happen with your family?"

"No, no. It's not that." Connor sat on the opposite end of the couch not touching Evan. He sat forward and rested his elbows on his knees, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.

"Con...what are you doing?"

"We need to break up."

Silence.

This was for Evans own good. This was for Evan. You're doing this for Evan. Don't let him see how you feel. This will keep him safe. He'll be upset for a little while but then he'll get over it. At least he'll be alive. This is for his good.

"You...wh-what...I don't understand."

"I made a mistake. We aren't meant for each other. I don't think this is going to work out."

Connor couldn't look at Evan, he knew what his face would look like. His innocent eyes would be round and overflowing with tears. His hands would be shaking and his lips quivering. Connor could do it.

"I'm sorry, it's me not you. I'll see you later."

Evan was still in shock so he couldn't say anything as Connor got up and briskly walked out the door, shutting it with more force than necessary.

With that final slam, the dam broke and the tears flowed from Evan like a waterfall.

What he didn't know was the same reaction occurred for Connor in his car.

***

Okay did you hate reading this chapter as much as I hated writing it? Sorry it's short, I couldn't do a long drawn out thing. wHAT AM I DOING

~hamilfan123987