Ch 20--Secret Conversations and Covert Relationships

Evan didn't show up to school the rest of that entire week. He was too miserable to move off his bed. His mom actually thought he was sick, so she called into school for him. Their relationship still wasn't the best, but she was trying to make it up to him.

    Connor was miserable, too. He'd gotten used to being around Evan all the time, and without the boy's constant positivity, he quickly spiraled into depression.

    Connor got home from school, dropping his bag by the door and sluggishly climbing up the stairs.

    "Connor, shoes!" Cynthia scolded when she saw him. He'd forgotten to take them off by the door.

    Connor stopped walking and slipped his feet out before continuing to climb the stairs, leaving the shoes there. He honestly couldn't do anything else.

    "That's not what I meant, Connor Michael, and you know it! Get back here and put them away properly!" But Connor kept walking. He had no energy to do anything except collapse on his bed and that's exactly what he did. The only reason he'd gone to school was because he had to meet Ferb before class every day. He'd also hoped Evan would show up and he could see him, to make sure he was okay. But Evan wasn't there and that made Connor feel even worse, knowing he was the cause. By sticking his face in his pillow, he was easily able to drown out his mother's screeching with his own thoughts. His only mistake was he didn't shut the door all the way and she came in.

    "Connor, what's your deal? Why are you-"

    She took one look at him, his rumpled clothes that she could have sworn he was wearing at least two days ago, to his sad face and tired eyes when he looked up at her, and she instantly dropped the shoe issue.

    "Sweetie, what's wrong?"

    Connor's lip wobbled and he buried his face in his pillow before the tears fell out. He hadn't cried since he left Evan's house that night, and had four days of pent up sadness to let out.

    Cynthia rushed to his bed and gathered him up in her arms.

    "Shh, honey, everything will be fine." She held him until he calmed down, then asked, "What happened?"

    "It's Evan. I...I...I messed up, and n-now..."

    "Oh, Connor, people argue. I know you two are great friends, you'll get over it in a few days."

    Connor shook his head, accepting the tissue Cynthia offered.

    "No, I really fu--screwed up. There's no chance of us being friends again."

    Cynthia smiled sadly.

    "I know it seems like that now, honey, but I'm sure things will get better with time, okay?"

    Connor shrugged. It didn't seem like Evan would ever forgive him. And he didn't blame him.

    "What do you want for dinner, I'll make anything you want."

    "Not hungry." Connor sulked pulling away from her.

    "Okay, if you get hungry later, just come downstairs." She went to close the door, but paused. "And Connor?"

    He looked up at her.

    "I love you, okay? If you need to talk again..."

    Connor nodded, a lump forming in his throat.

    As soon as his mom left, he quietly snuck over to Zoe's room. Someone needed to check on Evan, and since he couldn't, he decided to ask the next best person.