New Moon 2

New Moon 2

"I uh... I know Jake is sick and I know you don't want anyone over," Winny said quietly, not looking up from her muddy shoes. "It's just that Bella said some things I know she probably didn't mean and I let them get to me."

For the first time Winny looked up to meet Billy's gaze and Billy saw that her pretty eyes were rimmed red and there were dark bags under her eyes. Almost as dark as the Cullen's got.

"I'm just so tired," Winny said helplessly, and Billy's heart gave in when he saw one tear slide down Winny's cheek. He rolled backwards and motioned for the girl to come in.

"Jake's out. You can use his bed," Billy said gently and Winny didn't even stop to question that Billy had been telling anyone that would listen that his son was sick in bed with mono. Instead she nodded weakly and went to Jake's small room where she collapsed and immediately fell asleep.

*******

When Winny woke up, Jake was beside her. Only he'd grown about a foot, cut his hair, and had turned into a space heater since she'd seen him last. But Winny didn't say a word about any of those things. Just snuggled into her friend's side and went back to sleep.

*******

"I can't tell you anything," Jake said, as soon as he saw that Winny was awake. He'd  been thinking about it since his father had told him Winny had shown up about ready to collapse. So anticipating her questions, he decided to be up front.

The only thing he hadn't accounted for was that Winny wasn't her sister.

"I wasn't going to ask, Jake," Winny said quietly. The bags under her eyes had only lightened a little, and Billy was still reluctant to send her back home. "If you're saying you have mono it has to be for a good reason. I'll leave it alone until you decide to tell me otherwise. If you tell me otherwise."

Which is how thirty minutes later Winny was in the kitchen making Billy and Jake breakfast when Sam Uley and Embry Call stopped by to get Jacob.

"Good morning," Winny smiled softly as the two boys came into the kitchen, Billy on their heels. "Are either of you hungry?"

Embry looked like he'd had the air knocked out of him, and Sam looked annoyed.

"No thank you," Sam's deep voice made chills run down Winny's back, and the older boy looked down at Billy, who shook his head.

Embry on the other hand, always a fan of Winny's cooking, grinned nervously and nodded his head.

"If those are scrambled eggs, then yeah."

Sam glowered at the shorter boy but for once, Embry ignored him and went over to get himself a plate.