Eclipse 8 [Dealing with Bree Tanner]

Winny's phone rang in the middle of dinner, her dinner, and she had a piece of steak almost to her mouth when it began to chime. Winny looked at her phone, then tue steak, then her phone again before she finally set her fork down and picked up the phone. For being a castle full of vampires who hadn't eaten a bite for decades, they were pretty excellent cooks and she didn't want her food to get cold.

"Hello Carlisle," Winny chirped, swirling a bit of grape juice around in her wine glass.  "How's the fight going?"

On the other end of the line, Winny heard Emmett laugh, and then she heard Rosalie hitting him to shut him up. When Carlisle spoke again there was laughter in his voice as well. Apparently Winny's devil may care attitude about the entire thing was as refreshing as it had been before she flew to Italy a week ago. The vampires had told her not to worry, and the Volturi was making sure her father didn't die, so she was stress free.

"The fight is over, and one of the newborns chose not to fight. We've given her a parley but Jane  is here and is quite insistent on her death," Carlile gave a progress report, and Winny knew why he was calling.  Winny sighed deeply.

Whoever the vampire was, carlisle wanted to save her and he knew that calling Winny and making use of her influence over the Volturi was his only chance.

"Aro," Winny's voice didn't raise from when she was talking to Carlisle but within seconds Aro appeared from wherever he had been and sat himself beside her. He smiled at her brightly.

"Carlisle, can you give the phone to Jane, please," Winny requested politely, and there was a shuffling. Winny handed her phone to Aro. "Please tell Jane that the Newborn the Cullens pardoned doesn't need to be killed."

Aro toom the phone for a few seconds, muttered some words into it, and handed it back.

"It is done, dear one," Aro grinned at her, before standing and brushing imaginary dust from his robes. "Will you be much longer with your meal? I can call and postpone our trip to the basilica."

Winny smiled softly as she moved her phone back up to her ear.

"Thank you, Aro, but I was almost finished when I got the call. I'll go get changed and ready to go in a minute."

Aro clapped his hands together and darted to the other side of the room, to stand by the doors.

"Then I shall lay out a dress for you, and send Heidi in to help you change," then the eccentric vampire leader was gone. Winny sighed into her phone. She was Aro's doll as long as they were going on nightly excursions, and he was thrilled to be able to dress her as he pleased. Winny put the thought out of her mind long enough go say goodbye to Carlisle.

"Is my father still alive, Jane?" Winny asked seriously. It wasn't that she thought Jane, Dimitri and Felix were incapable of keeping her father in one piece and without gnaw marks, whether they would or not was the question. There was a moment of silence over the phone and Winny could picture the blonde child rolling her eyes. From what little Winny knew of her, it sounded like something she would do.

"Yes, Winifred," Jane's flat voice somehow came across as deeply sarcastic. Winny's lips parted in a little grin. "Your father is a walking, talking disaster just like your sister but he is untouched."

There was a moment of silence between the two girls before Jane seemed to lose patience with it and the next thing Winny knew, Carlisle was talking to her through the phone.

"Hello," his melodic voice met Winny's ears.

"All better?" She questioned, skewering a piece of meat on her fork and looking at it thoughtfully.

On the other side of the phone, Carlisle let out a relieved sigh.

"Yes, Jane is retreating. She asked me to warn you that she  will see you soon." Winny grinned at the news.

"Good. I should be back at the end of the week so tell the newest member of the Cullen Clan that I will introduce myself then."

Then she hung up and continued to eat.