Twilight 9

Twilight 9

"So, Jessica asked me to the spring dance," Winny heard Mike tell her sister, and Winny's ears perked. Winny knew, or had known, that after Edward Jessica's eyes had landed on Mike. Of course she never imagined her friend would gather the courage to ask Mike out. Winny lowered herself further in her seat.

"That's great," Bella's voice was enthusiastic. "You'll have a lot of fun with Jessica."

Mike shoulders fell, and so did Winny's heart. She recognized the look on the young Newton's face.

"Well I told her I had to think about it," Mike hinted. Winny sunk even further and she watched Edward's shoulders tense.

"Why would you do that?"

Mike's shoulders sank even further.

"Well, I was wondering if maybe you were planning to ask me."

Winny's heart broke for Jessica.

"Mike, I think you should tell Jessica yes."

Winny's heart broke for Mike.

"Did you ask someone?" he asked weakly, no longer as happy as he had been in the past months. Winny had thought it was because of something else, but Winny guessed it was because he had become infatuated with her sister.

"No," Bella assured him and Winny hated to see Mike perk up a little. "I'm not going to the dance at all."

"Why not?"

"I'm going to Jacksonville that weekend," Winny didn't remember her telling their father anything about going to Jacksonville. Out of the corner of her eye, Winny saw Edward's head tilt in the direction of her sister and Mike. He was listening to them. Almost as soon as she had thought it, Edward's head jerked back up like it had never happened.

"You can't go another weekend?" Mike asked Bella dejectedly.

Bella shook her head.

"Sorry, no," she said. "You shouldn't make Jess wait any longer. It's rude."

"Yeah," Mike mumbled as he slid off the corner of Bella's desk. "You're right." Then he walked back to his seat and Winny sighed. Her friends had fallen apart since she had been gone, and she hadn't even known.