Five: Ear for an Ear

A pang struck Rey's chest like the beat of a drum

A pang struck Rey's chest like the beat of a drum. Fear came next and rolled in like a wave, a high tide that washed out just as fast as it came. Rey was woken up by this, the pain and fear flowing through her, consuming her. It only lasted for a moment, but it was a powerful strike she couldn't tolerate.

Rey sat up on her cot. She felt an ache towards her lower waist, placing a hand there knowing it's still taking some time getting used to her new bed.

It's been a few days since the Resistance had landed at their new base. Rey was still getting used to everything, the company more than anything. She hadn't expect for her to be recognized as a 'Hero' amongst everyone. She couldn't come to terms with her name already known before she ever had a chance to introduce herself. She'd never think she'd actually earn that title, especially amongst the Resistance. She had always thought she'd be forever haunted by her reputation as a nobody, but it seemed that was dead and gone.

Rey dug her fingers into her aching waist, putting pressure to massage the muscles in her lower back. She laid back down and felt instant relief as she relaxed against the thin mattress. Now that she felt comfortable, she forced herself to go back to sleep.

**

Rey felt a soft touch brushing against her skin. Through sleep, she felt the light touch, the warmth against her skin. But then the light touched increased its pressure.

Rey stirred in her sleep, lying on her right side and the longer she felt the contact, she started to enjoy it. She wanted to dive into the warmth, but the fighter in her warned her to wake up, though she didn't want to in spite of exhaustion. So she lifted a hand to her face and checked what it was so she could go back to sleep.

And when Rey placed her hand over her left check, she met the smooth material of leather. Her hands traveled the leather and made out five lengthy fingers. It was a hand, a gloved hand in-matter-of-fact hovering over her cheek.

Her mind went full alert with sirens blaring and her conscious screaming. She forced her body to wake up through her weariness like many nights when she was a child alone in the Jakku desert. She opened her eyes to see whoever was touching her. And when she saw a dark figure in the blackness of her room looming over her at her bedside, Rey blinked a few times until she could make out a tall man whose attire camouflaged with the room. It wasn't until she looked up did she see a pale face and two brown eyes.

It's him.

Ren's hand immediately fell from her face. He stepped back into the mass of darkness, slowly and composed like a hunter stepping away from a rabid animal about to attack him at any moment now. He held his hands up as if he already pointed a blaster at him, his face apologetic. Something which, was very new to Rey. He watched her shuffle around knowing for himself that this time, he really crossed the line.