Twenty-Two: Here At Last

Left

Left.

Right.

Left.

Right.

One foot in front of the other.

Rey tiptoed inside the cramped chamber which was much bigger than she'd last remembered. Maybe it was from the angle she was standing in. But that was when she was saw it through the bond.

Now she was there in person, Rey could actually look around, examining the features inside the room. Everything from the texture of the walls and floors were black or in other dull colors. There were a lot of vents and machines that must be used for other methods of torture. Worse ones probably.

Whoosh!

Suddenly, the door to the chamber shut behind her. The hissing sound caused her to jump out of her own skin. The chill in the air sent a shiver down Rey's spine. The realization that she was in a torture room of the First Order's Star Destroyer sank in her brain. Rey took slow, steady steps, feeling as if she should be more cautious than ever about being in here.

But this would be wasting time. Ben was just a few steps away.

Rey looked to her right and saw the loud mechanical churning sounds of the machine that sent electric currents throughout Ben's body. It frightened her. It was the sheer reminder of the fact that she was once in a room like this before.

The sounds sent goosebumps all over her skin. She shouldn't complain or compare her experiences, though. Rey thought of her mind being infiltrated was pain. Well, seeing Ben scream as volts of electricity acting as if his own flesh and bones were aflame brought Rey to her knees. There was no worse pain than seeing the person you love in pain. The person I love.

Rey walked over to the machine and looked around for something to shut it off. She wanted it destroyed. Burned to nothing but liquid metal. She wanted this whole room burned to the ground. Everything in flames and ashes.

Rey stretched her arm out, lifting her hand in front of the tall machine and let her mind search for its core and turned it off as easy as flipping a switch on the Falcon's controls.

Rey heard a whimper coming from the middle of the room. She whipped her head towards it, knowing he must be unconscious or asleep. Rey stepped away from the machine and standing there, she finally saw Ben in his vulnerable, damaged state.

There, in front of her, Ben laid so quiet and calm. Almost too quiet. It would seem he was almost asleep. But Rey looked beyond Ben's figure. He must be exhausted. Being locked up there for days to be shocked with electrical currents again and again definitely worn him out. She could how sweaty his bare torso was, how the sweat also collected along his hairline and clustered his greasy hair (which has grown over time) all over his face. She noticed how he was shivering, how he shook against the table and under the metal cuffs keeping him tied down. If Ben weren't so tall and muscular, she'd see a child trapped inside a nightmare. A living nightmare, in fact.