Seventeen: Things Left Unsaid

"What are we going to do?" Rey asked the general, her voice wavered, worried what she was thinking

"If it's like you said," Leia started, as if her words were somehow incorrect, "that he's being held against his will. . .that he's been betrayed. . ."

"He's not only been betrayed," Rey told her with urgency, "Leia, Ben is back. He's redeeming himself."

"Redeeming?" Leia questioned in skepticism.

"Yes, redeeming himself," Rey reconfirmed.

When Leia noticed the young, vibrant girl from Jakku walked in the room, she immediately sensed a wave of emotions radiating off of her. Emotions running through her. She stared wide-eyed at the desert girl, noticing how worried and fragile she seemed at that very moment. The general glanced around the room to see her Resistance followers hard at work as she wrapped her hand around the wrist of a shivering Rey and gently pulled her aside to talk in private.

It wasn't hard for Leia to nudge her a few feet away since Rey's mind seemed to be somewhere else. And she listened to her as Rey elaborated what she meant about Ben being in trouble. It seemed she was rambling at first, describing too many explicit details about what she saw that threw Leia off. For instance, that redhead of the First Order, Kylo Ren's right hand man had captured him and was torturing him by electrocution.

"He's in danger," Rey also considered sharing, feeling though was she had to, "because of me."

"This means he finally. . .turned."

Rey couldn't confirm that. Nor could she comment on it. From what she's read about the Jedi in her time of studying and training, there are those who can wield the Force and not be among the Jedi. Leia well speaks as an example of those kind. But she knows Kylo Ren is no more. It proved in the way the Force wasn't calling to him as he was conflicted with his emotions. He wasn't in the dark, nor the light. But none of that mattered right now.

The desert girl didn't have the time to explain it as it simply wasn't relevant for the situation he was in. It wasn't as though he actually betrayed the First Order to turn to the light and sought redemption. It was a completely different reason that he ended up the way he did. A reason important to Rey.

Rey watched Leia remain silent, unsure what it meant for her to be unresponsive. "He needs our help."

"I know," Leia said, a sense of understanding in her voice. This wasn't exactly the first time she heard those words or said those words herself. Saving her son was one matter, but after so many attempts, she needed to focus on other matters that just mattered more. "I don't know if I can risk the people we have left."

"What do you mean?" Rey asked, wondering for a complete second of Leia forgot this was about her son, Ben being in danger. "We have to save him. He's your son!"