Prologue

Being a slave was never an option but an obligation. I was moved and sold many times as a child and even now as a woman. The last country I served in was Spain, now I am in England. Vikings had come, raiding the land as they went, which wasn't the first time for me. The villagers in town left to a different location to save themselves from the barbarians. I figured to go some where different. Perhaps camp somewhere deep in the forest away from the crowds. I thought I'd climb a tree and sleep there until the Northmen decided to leave England. I prayed it was soon.
I had no proper weapons on my person, only carrying a tree branch with myself. It would not save my life but at least I have something I can perhaps throw.
I found a near by river and I decided to sit there awhile. Everyone left the village, to where I know not.  The English were nicer except to their slaves. Except my owner. This was the first time where I was treated like a person. I wasn't whipped, I wasn't starved, but I did witness the awful treatment brought down on my friends. I slept inside the church. They always smelled nice and they were always quiet. I slept on the second floor by a window. My favorite time of the day being the early morning when the sun would beam through and warm me. I got in trouble many times for being late to work because of this. The sun was starting to settle in and it found me. I felt it's warmth on my face and I closed my eyes, allowing myself to be kissed by it. I didn't mean to but I fell asleep, and I'll never forgive my self for this mistake.