Chapter 7

A lot changes in the next week. Janet and Anthony go on dates almost every day and sit together at lunch and break, leaving me to be their third wheel. Well, that is until Ethan decides to save me from my misery and he and David decide to join us. Despite his constant teasing, Ethan's company is sort of nice.

Speaking of lunch tables, Ella's still sitting with Jessica and Josh. Though I can't see why that'd be comfortable for her considering she has to watch the two of them make out constantly. She claims its all part of her master plan but I don't like it. Someone's going to get hurt and I hope it isn't her.

"Hey, Alisa, have you signed up for the winter play?" Anthony asks me, directing his attention from Janet.

I shake my head. "I'll probably do it after school."

"Yo guys." Ethan slides into the seat next to me with a smile. We all say hi to him and he turns his attention to me. "Do you wanna hang out tonight? We can watch some cartoons again."

"Yeah, sure, I hear they're airing a new episode of Adventure Time." I say and take a sip of my chocolate milk.

He nudges me in an attempt to get me to spill it down my shirt but I move just in time and pinch his arm. Janet and Anthony take a seat across from us, looking very much loved up with their matching lunches.

"Hey you two! Fighting already?" Janet says, flipping her black hair over her shoulder and smiling.

"I don't fight, I have very intense discussions and debates." I say passively. Ethan mimics me and then laughs when I glare at him. "You're so annoying."

"Thank you." He mocks taking a bow and then ruffles my hair. I duck out of the way but the damage has been done.

David sits down on the other side of me and suddenly I'm being towered by two broad shoulders. It gets even worse when the two of them start talking to each other over me and Janet gets all loved up. I drink my chocolate milk and pout a little. Even though this new dynamic is fun, I do feel a lot like a fifth wheel.

Ethan notices my pouting and he responds by tugging on my hair. When I look up at him, he simply winks before his face breaks out into a wide smile.

"The Crow?" I read as I stare at the audition sign-up sheets on the doors to the auditorium. Ethan shrugs next to me and sticks a random red lollipop into his mouth. "What happened to Much Ado?"

"That shit's boring." He says passively. I glare at him but I sign my name up right underneath Sarah's. "Wait, you're still gonna audition?"

"Well, yeah, I have to." I say. "There could be some college scouts looking in the audience on opening night and it'll be good theatre experience for the future."

"Where you thinking of going?"

"Julliard, Yale Drama School or So-Cal." I shrug. "The obvious ones I guess."

Ethan rubs his chin and then snatches my pen from me. To my surprise, he scribbles his name underneath mine and puts my pen in his pocket. "Well, I guess we're just gonna have to be in this together."

I stare at him for a little while. I don't know if he's just being foolish or whether he's really going to audition with me but whatever it is, I'm more than a little bit impressed.

"What?" He says, grinning.

"You took my pen." I comment. I'd rather eat a raw potato than tell him that he's impressed me.