Chapter 14

I realise that I am in a lot of shit when I have a dream that involves Ethan.

It starts off fine. It's a nice spring day and I'm walking through Los Angeles with my flip flops and huge sunglasses covering the majority of my face. Of course I am being followed by paparazzi: in my dreams (the good ones), I am always a famous actress that's been in countless successful movies.

I'm vaguely aware – only vaguely ­– of the paparazzi men calling me Alisa Adams instead of Anderson. It's fine though. The dream continues as normal.

I normally always have this dream. My dream self is in her mid to late twenties and is horribly successful. She's having a great day! She gets to her huge mansion across from Will Smith's place and waves when she sees her famous neighbour Natalie Portman. She gets into her house and finds her husband Nick Jonas and lives happily ever after.

That's the way it always goes. That's the way it's supposed to go. However, this time, everything is painfully different.

I am greeted at the door by a child. I am instantly happy.

"Mommy!" He shrieks.

"Theo!" I shriek back and pick him up. I twirl him around in the air and then he starts to tell me about boats and how he recently learned how to spell the word yacht.

It's weird but after this, I seem to wake up. As in, I wake up in my dream and not in real life. And my conscious dream figure notices that Theo looks nothing like Nick Jonas and way too much like Ethan when he was a child. The resemblance is scarily uncanny, down to the coy smirk and wild blue eyes.

"Theo," I say, panicking. "Where's your daddy?"

He seems confused. "Daddy is upstairs." Then he calls for him.

And lo and behold, Ethan comes down the grand ass steps in my grand ass house in the middle of the Calabasas (because I always thought I'd live there when I got famous). He comes over to me and gives me the biggest kiss of my life and I'm just staring at him like he has three heads and a forked tongue.

"Alisa? Are you okay?" He asks me.

"Where is Nick Jonas?" I ask him back.

He laughs. And I faint.

I wake up an hour earlier than normal with a nauseating feeling in my stomach. That was no mere dream. It was a nightmare.

Well, except for the kid, Theo. He was adorable.

But everything else that occurred in my dream house in the Calabasas was unacceptable. I'm unable to fall asleep again and end up taking a shower twenty minutes earlier than my parents are used to. My mom gets up to check on me when I get out.

"Alisa?" I turn to face her and her eyes widen. "Honey, what's wrong?!""

"I had a nightmare."

"That's what you get for having a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich at 12am." She says, shrugging. I should've expected the lack of sympathy but it still hurts my feelings.

As I get ready for school, I can't help but think about Ethan. Why was I married to him in my dream? That's so gross. What am I going to do when I see him?

This question is answered when I finish my cereal. There's a knock on the door and my mom answers it by coddling the hell out of Ethan who comes into the kitchen and ends up eating some cereal with me.