Chapter 3

It's been two weeks since the guys moved in across the hall and it seems I may have fished my wish as I have yet to meet the remaining five guys. Though to be frank, I haven't seen much of the other nine in that time either, our schedules just haven't seemed to sync up, however I have seen Corey, Marc and Raven in passing. We don't exchange more than a "hey" or "how are you" or "we should hang out sometime" before one or both of us is running off to work or school or whatever it is they're doing for the Academy.

That's right, the Academy, I know all about that place. Working as closely with Uncle as I have, for as long as I have made it sort of unavoidable. Well, that and the fact that he sucks at keeping secrets unless they could put his family or friends in danger. It took me about three months to figure out he was more than just a diner owner, as he had far too many strange skills like lockpicking and such, and was too intelligent for that to be his lifelong occupation.

When I felt comfortable enough with him to ask him about it he caved like a house of cards in the wind and told me everything. He told me about the missions, the teams, the favors, their legal and not so legal dealings for the government. Heck, he's even taken me on a mission or two posing as his daughter, niece, whatever he needed that another "bird" wasn't needed for or wanted. This worked for both of us, I got a taste of the adventure I'd always wanted and Uncle didn't have to deal with the academy birds, who he claims are mostly vile, spoiled little brats and he's "tool damn old to deal with that shit." His words, not mine, though after meeting a few actual girls from the academy I'm inclined to agree with him. Let's just say we didn't mesh so well, and I don't see that changing as they pretty much hate me now because so many other teams use me for the more non dangerous missions.

I consult and join missions as a translator, mechanic, medic, thief and more. In the past the Academy was hesitant to involve civilians, but once they figured out that I don't truly exist, their hesitation vanished. Another gift from dear old dad, one that initially hurt but now I'm grateful as it has made my new life possible. My participation helped me broaden my apparently vast but unique skill set as well as battle some of my social ineptitudes and insecurities caused by my brutal childhood. I owe the Academy a lot and hope to join as soon as I can find a proper team, which may be difficult given my troubles with the female gender in their "school."

I just barely register I've made it to the library, so lost in my musings I'd missed the entire walk there. Pulling myself back to Earth I head inside, waving hello to the kind librarian at the front desk I make my way back to the groupings of study tables to wait for my first Saturday student to show up.

Ten minutes later I see his light brown hair over the tops of the low shelves beyond the tables. Turning the corner I'm met with blue-gray eyes and a wide smile as he sees me. Ten seconds later he's got me in his arms, twirling me around so quickly I hold onto his broad shoulders so I don't go flying, three years and I still get dizzy when he does this even though it's become common greeting.

Putting me down, he smiles even wider and I can't help but return it, it's that bright.

"How's Rocky's girl doing?" He asks.

"I'm good how have you been?-and what did I say about talking in third person?"

He smirks at that. We both know he doesn't do that anymore beyond my nickname, using it as a way to make himself seem dumb to fit in when he was younger. Apparently in high school he thought his dad would beat him and call him a dumb jock so that what he thought he was. I spent a long time working him through that and we've helped each other move on.

"That it's weird and off-putting to the general populace, I know. But you'll always be Rocky's girl." This makes me all mushy.

Not able to wait any longer I ask "so...what did he say? Tell me, tell me, tell me!" I'm bouncing on my toes in anticipation which only serves to make him laugh.