Chapter 4

Rita's mom, Mrs. Rai was humming silently as she stirred the pot in which she was cooking rice for that day's dinner. All of a sudden, she heard frantic knocking on the door. She opened it to see Rita, trembling, and leaning against the door. "What the hell?!!" she gasped "Rita? What are you doing here? Why aren't you at school? What happened?". "Just let me in and I'll explain" she replied weakly. Mrs. Rai quickly let her through the door. Rita sat on the sofa and leaned into it. She started weeping and told her mom the whole story. At the end of the story her mother looked sternly at her and said "How could you be so stupid?!". "Stupid? You're calling me STUPID?! That girl insulted my religion! She insults me every day about my colour! Do you expect me to put up with it all the TIME?" Rita said furiously. "You cannot jeopardise your education for that, Rita!" her mom yelled. "Jeopardise my education?" Rita asked in a deadly whisper "You're concerned about my education more than my life? Are you my mom? I thought moms were supposed to care about their children". She gave her mom a look of deadly venom and ran upstairs to her room, feeling too angry to even cry. She rushed into the room and locked the door. Her mom was yelling for her to come downstairs. She didn't care. She didn't want to care. Her elder sister, Manha, stared at her in utter shock and compassion. "I'm sorry you had to go through that, Rita. I have to go through that too" she said. Rita embraced her and both of them broke down, sobbing.