F I V E

Breaking Brielle

Chapter Five

Not Edited

~ Brielle Clark's POV ~

"I should go sit with him" I said.

Faye, Margaret, Harper and I were sitting in lunch and I was debating whether or not I should go over and sit with Matthew. He was nice enough to bring me home on Saturday, the least I could do was go and sit with him.

"Brielle" Faye groaned. "That boy does not want your company. He likes to be alone"

"I think she likes him" Margaret grinned and I laughed.

"I barely know him"

"But you're attracted to the mystery" She wiggled her eyebrows and Faye rolled her eyes.

"Brielle you cannot get involved with that boy. He's cold and doesn't care for anyone but himself" She sighed.

"That isn't very nice" I frowned. "And I'm not trying to get 'involved' with him. I'm just being friendly"

"Brielle come back" She hissed as I stood up and walked towards Matthew's table.

"Hey" I smiled once I reached him.

"Hey" He grunted.

"Thanks for bringing me home on Saturday. It was really sweet of you. I honestly can't remember a thing" I laughed.

"Okay" He mumbled. He was focused on writing something.

"What're you writing?" I asked curiously and he sighed a breath of annoyance.

"Journal entry" He replied emotionlessly as I sat down.

"Do you want to go to the diner after school?" I asked and his eyes slowly looked up at me.

He looked tired. Like he hadn't slept properly in months. He had dark bags underneath his eyes. His face looked strained. Like he was clenching in pain but it looked so natural.

"What?" He asked.

"For the project? I work today so I can't really record anything but you can come by and ask me whatever questions you need to know" I explained and he nodded. "Are you okay?"

"What?"

"You look like you're in pain" I frowned.

"I'm fine" He furrowed his eyebrows. "Are you going to sit here for the rest of the period?"

"Mhm" I smiled and he put away his book.

"This is what? Your second week here?" He asked and I nodded. "Why don't you go make friends?"

"I am making friends" I laughed.

"I'm not your friend. We don't talk" He frowned.

"We're becoming friends" I grinned and he just stared at me. "We are going to be friends Matthew"

"Why?"

"Because you need a friend and I want to be your friend" I gave him a small smile.

"Alright I guess" He sighed quietly and started picking at his food.

We spent the rest of the period silently eating our food. I was trying to ignore the glares I was getting from Faye and Matthew was oblivious to the 3 girls watching us.

"I need to leave early. I have class in the other building" Matthew stands up suddenly.

"Oh okay! Bye!" I wave at him and he nods before walking off towards the exit.