Fourteen

Roseanne had not had a moment alone since she had left the ship. She had been assigned four ladies-in-waiting who followed her around like a pack of lost puppies.

Even at night she had guards posted right outside her door. Maids were always scurrying in and out of her chambers.

Despite being surrounded by people, Roseanne felt truly alone.

She had been living in Spain only a month now and she had rarely seen her husband, except for public events.

Her days were filled with lounging and sitting through boring speeches and listening to the bland secrets of court.

Just when things were starting to get worse, Jason came to visit her.

He had been missing for quite awhile, remaining hidden among to shadows. Roseanne missed her friend. She missed having someone who spoke her language and knew her well enough to hold a true conversation.

When he came into the sitting room, Roseanne could clearly see the dark circles forming under his enchanting eyes. He looked worse for wear.

"How are you feeling?" He whispered, sitting across from her.

Roseanne smiled and placed a hand over her bump, "He's growing at a fast rate. He'll be here very soon, hopefully."

Jason frowned at her, "I-I didn't ask about the..."

Roseanne shook her head, "I am sorry, it is just that most people ask me that question and usually only want to hear about the future King."

Jason furrowed his eyebrows, "That's insensitive. You are the one who is undergoing all the pain and suffering! They should care about you!"

Roseanne looked down at her needlework, "It is the job of the Queen to produce an heir."

It had been a habit to regurgitate those words. Her husband had made sure she was able to voice his opinion to everyone who asked.

"You sound just like him." Jason snapped.

"He is my husband." She whispered.

"You know, it's quite funny how you have matured since we were back home. You used to flirt with every man who danced past you and now... now, you can't even talk about yourself."

Roseanne continued to work on her needlework, promptly ignoring Jason. She didn't want to talk about how she lived now. She wanted to simply forget that she has fallen for a monster and was now trapped on the fancy dungeon.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Jason whispered.

Roseanne looked at him, "Excuse me?"

"Roseanne, why didn't you tell me about your child? I wouldn't have cared!" He said, grabbing her hand.

"I did tell you. We announced it at—" Roseanne protested but Jason cut her off.

"You should have told me before. I'm here to protect you. I needed to know that so I could do my job better." Jason snapped.

Roseanne's eyes widened, "I do not need your help! My health is my business. Now, it you'll excuse me, I have better things to do than to let you occupy my time."

Roseanne stood, throwing her needlework on the couch, and started to storm off. She didn't want to let Jason get to her. She didn't want to cause stress to her baby.

Jason grabbed her hand and pulled her closer, "I-I am sorry, Rose. I let my anger get the best of me and it's not fair to you. Please forgive me."

Roseanne nodded slowly. He didn't have to ask her forgiveness. He had been there for her when others weren't. He was her best friend.

"I am just overwhelmed by all these new motions and new experiences." Jason muttered, shaking his head and stepping away, "I thought coming to Spain with you would be a good decision but I am still trying to adapt to these changes. It's... difficult."

Roseanne smiled at him and placed a hand on his arm, "I am glad you came with me. I would be bored out of my mind if not."

Jason met her eyes, his blue eyes meeting hers. His body slurred forward, his hands grasping her and pulling her closer. His lips crashed onto hers and claimed her with an immense passion.

Roseanne was too surprised to move a muscle. Jason's hands cupped her face.

She could feel the coursing emotions running between them, feeding unknown emotions underneath her cold surface. Her hands moved to cup his face but instead, she pushed him away from her.

She pressed a hand to her belly and turned away, "I-I... I am sorry."

She gathered her skirts and rushed out the door, leaving Jason to fend for himself.