Chapter 2

Good times have a knack of flying like they have their own wings. You just start living through them and they are gone. Noor blinked back the tears with a smile on her face as she realized there had been two weeks since her best friend for life had gotten married and was now in her new home.

The wedding was as beautiful as she had hoped for. There was no extravaganza but the genuine smiles and love spread around Zarnab never let anything fade away. She hugged Noor one last time and that's when both the friends lost it. The tears were soaking their cheeks but the lips were curled into smiles. It was a strange mix of joy and pain.

Life got back to routine. It always does, but Noor couldn't help thinking about how she was no longer at a five minute walk from her friend. They were connected through phone and Zarnab called her everyday but still the void was there. In all this Zarnab's beaming voice was the only thing telling her after all it was all for the best. She couldn't stop gushing about Adil and how understanding he was. The compatibility both Zarnab and Adil had formed in no time was what Noor wanted from her future relationship as well. Because at the end this is what holds importance. Beauty and wealth fade with time. Love and trust stay.

"Mahi! just one more bite."

Izma's tired voice reached Noor's ears making her turn towards the table where Maheen was as usual giving a hard time to her mother. The girl was losing her appetite with each passing day and this was not something they could let pass any longer.

"Mahi come here."

Noor held the wriggling four year old in her arms and took the bowl of rice from Izma's hand.

"Now now! Wanna see how a plane lands? Here it comes!"

She raised her arm and making weird noises stopped the spoon right in front of Maheen's mouth. She giggled bouncing her dark brown curls and opened her mouth. Izma looked at the aunt niece duo with a wide smile on her face. They were a team. Always had been.

"Her appetite is getting weird Noor. Also she is always tired. I'm enrolling her into school in few months and all this is not really good at all."

"I've noticed too. Should we talk to a doctor? He can surely recommend some supplements and tell us what is really wrong here."

"I'll talk to Asim tonight. I'm taking her to the Doctor tomorrow itself."

Noor nodded and looked at a now pouting Maheen. The bowl of rice was empty but only she knew how she had made Maheen eat it. A thoughtful look came over Noor's face and she got up searching for her purse. She had gotten her salary a few days back and most part of it was gone into buying a nice wedding gift for Zarnab. She didn't have much left but her own needs could wait. She took out the last few hundreds and handed them to Izma who scowled not liking it one bit.

"Don't give me this look. You know Asim's salary is being used for the bills and he's also saving for Maheen's admission fee. Don't go all elder sisterly on me and keep it."

"You have spent most of your money on Zarnab's wedding. It's just the starting of the month. How will you spend remaining of it?"

Noor squeezed her hand reassuringly.

"I'll manage. Just keep it. I do have some responsibility towards this munchkin."