Chapter 14

She stood in the window which opened into small Veranda. Looking outside she took a deep breath feeling the night breeze touching her face. The town was beautiful. It had an air of calm to it. Surrounded by lush green areas and mountains to the side, it had made a place in Noor's heart. It wasn't home. But it was close.

Had she ever thought life would come to this?

No.

But it was meant to happen this way. She and Izma were in dire need of a new place considering how the society was slowly making life impossibly difficult for them. It was painfully funny for Noor. How people were blaming her for the chaos she went through in her life. She hadn't asked for any of it. She just wanted a simple life for herself. Something normal. But that seemed impossible now.

When Saboohi Khala came with the solution of moving to a new town, Izma was skeptical but Noor knew this was the chance she needed to right the wrongs in her life. To clear out the tangled up mess. So she agreed. Without thinking much. There was nothing to think about anyway. To contemplate. There was nothing in that house anymore. She needed to start afresh. There was this promise she had made with herself. To become steel. And steel would she become. She was done looking up to others to make things alright for her. It was time to carve her own path. A path which will lead to inner peace. A path where she would be a hero of her own and won't need a stranger's help.

Blue eyes and dark souls.

Not anymore.

Zarnab and her husband wanted to help but Noor had refused. Their showing them the path leading to a peaceful life was everything. She paid the rent herself and the day they moved into the small two bedroom house Noor felt as if a huge burden was lifted off her shoulders. They were yet to make arrangements for rest of the things but still the thought that they were getting somewhere was more than enough.

To think of all this the past few months still felt like a nightmare. Noor felt as if any moment she would wake up and take a sigh of relief. But this nightmare was her life. The demons of past would stay with her all remaining life. Her smiles would be strained. Her happiness clouded with melancholy. Her peace tainted with the pieces of her past.

But she would live through it. Because she wasn't hopeless. If this was what written for her then she would face everything with a smile on her face. She would be steel. She would be one day.

"Noor?"

She turned around finding Zarnab standing near the bed.

"When did you come?"

Noor left the window and took the place right next to Zarnab gesturing her to sit as well.

"Just few minutes back. Was with Izma Aapa."

Noor nodded playing with her fingers. Things were not the same between her and Zarnab. May be she had changed. But she wasn't able to open up to the one person she couldn't hide anything in the past.

"She was asking me to tell her about any job opportunities here. She wants to work. I think it's a good decision. What do you think?"

Noor smiled lightly.

"She's trying to move on from her past which is a good thing."