Chapter 28

Sometimes nothing binds two people more than a shared grief. A sorrow they have felt deeply. Happiness has its role to play but when two people know they have gone through a fate which was subjected to them by someone else's doing, it forms an unseen bond. Or strengthens the one already there.

Something akin to that had happened with them. Noor could tell. Last night he'd bared a part of his soul to her he had never told anyone before. She got to know how deep his pain ran. How far the scars had left a mark. And how he had lived with it all. It took a toll. A massive one. He lost himself somewhere down the line but not for long.

She couldn't say it to him but she was proud of how far he'd come. All his bitterness aside, the way he had put the pieces of his broken self back and made a world of his own was commendable. What was he? A kid. Just a kid and he started making decisions for himself. Decisions which made him what he was. Successful and in a league of his own.

And Noor was happy that finally he was able to find the peace from within as well. She knew he had a strained relationship with his parents. But his warmth towards his siblings wasn't hidden. Hammad had always come out to be a nice person. The fatherly figure a family needs. Saliha also was the kindest woman Noor knew. All these people weren't wrong. But the circumstances they were put into were wrong so were some of their choices.

May be some day they all would be able to work on their issues. To talk about what went wrong. What was to be right and what they were going to do. She would wait for that day.

As she poured his coffee in his mug her eyes darted towards him. He was talking to some business associate of his while pacing back and forth. His hand was fiddling with the tie and face was morphed into an expression of pure concentration.

They hadn't talked about the conversation last night. Because they simply didn't have to. It wasn't awkward. It wasn't strange. He was him and she was her. But something had shifted inside Noor. She felt more connected to him. More drawn towards him. To know him inside out. Like no one had ever known him.

This was lame. But made sense at the same time. It was bizarre but it felt so usual. Like it was part of the routine. Him and her and everything in between. Everything which was known. Every unknown.

It all went in a blur. Him eating his breakfast. Telling her that he was getting so used to her cooking. Gulping down his bitter black coffee. And then getting up, putting on his coat, kissing her forehead, wishing her luck for her first day at the office, looking mildly displease that he couldn't drop her off himself, and walking out of the house with his car keys in his hand and his file in the other.

She had no clue for how long she was looking at the place he had just left. For how long she was standing there. But she was.

"Ma'am?"

Sabahat's voice brought her back to her surroundings.

"What's to prepare in the lunch?"

The old woman asked looking at her lost state with concern written on her face.

"Prepare the lunch for only yourself, Sabahat Auntie. You know Rayyan. He won't get time to come back home for lunch and I'm also leaving for office in a few."

Telling Sabahat her mind instantly went to the conversation he had with her after just getting up. Telling her she was gonna ace everything here as well like she did in her previous work place and he was going to delay his meeting to drop her off. She had to refuse the latter. He wasn't missing out on his work because of her. Obviously he wasn't happy to be told no. But Noor was adamant. Finally with a huff he agreed. But not before telling her she was to go in the other car if she was going alone.