第38Q

"What?!" responded the surprised boys.

"America?!" repeated Hyuga.

"Kagami?!" questioned Koganei with disbelief.

"When?" asked Izuki.

"Last night." replied Riko. "Our school has a short-term study abroad program. Our sister school is in Los Angeles, where Kagami-kun used to live. Apparently, he has a master there who taught him basketball."

"A master?" repeated the surprised Furihata.

"I haven't heard anything about this." said Huuga.

"I just found out last night." said Riko. She walked up to Kuroko and slammed her hand on his head, gripping it tightly while smiling innocently. "This year's first-years have really been coming and going as they please. It's like they're messing around with me. Why can't they all behave like Yasu-chan?"

"Why me?" questioned Kuroko in pain as everyone watched, looking scared. "Ow, ow... I'm sorry."

"Well, if he's going to come back stronger, I can't complain." said Hyuga with a small smile.

~Time skip~

"Okay, go play cops and robbers." said Kagetora one morning.

"Again?!" exclaimed the boys.

"The losers will do double strength training." he added.

"Yes, sir!" they responded and quickly left the gym.

Few days has passed, and the Winter Cup was just around the corner. Training with Kagetora had been intense for the team, but they were willing to do whatever it took to win the tournament. Riko and Yasu stood at the door when they arrived, with the former holding a plastic bag with groceries. "How are they, Dad?" she asked.

"Riko-tan!" he chirped when his gaze landed on his daughter and pranced towards her. "Today, you're exceptionally-"

"I don't care about that!" she cut him off with a punch. "Well?"

"They just have to do what they have to do." he said. "On weekends, they improve their stamina with Fartlek sessions. On weekdays, they improve their individual skills. How much more they'll improve in half a month is up to them."

"Endurance training aside, can they really master special moves in less than a month?" she asked while Yasu helped her place the bag on the stage where the boys' bags are.

Her father replied, "The first-years can't, but those second-years... They can probably do it. Airhead already has his own style and he's talented. Four-eyes and cutie have found answers on their own. The remaining three will surely manage something."

Riko then remembered about one of the players, and asked, "What about Kuroko-kun?"

But Kagetora said, "Sorry, but there's nothing I can do." His daughter looked at him with surprise, as well as Yasu. "I've never seen a player like him before. He's a mutant. It's pathetic, but I have no idea what to teach him. But, well... I've given him some advice." This caught his daughter's attention. "I told him about the wall he's likely to hit soon. How he'll overcome it is up to him. Anyway, I'm going out for a while." He then left the gym.

"Riko-senpai." called Yasu, grabbing her attention. "Do you remember when Kagetora-san said friendship isn't teamwork?"

"Yeah." she replied.

"It's especially clear in Kagami's case." said Yasu.

"Eh?" responded the coach.

"His potential rivals that of the Generation of Miracles." explained the manager. "However, he hasn't had the chance to go one-on-one against them yet. As to why... The answer is simple. Somewhere in his heart, he relies on Kuroko. He may believe he needs to work with Kuroko to defeat the Generation of Miracles, but that thinking actually suppresses his abilities. You could call it a dilemma. As long as Kuroko is his dependable Sixth Man, Kagami will be incomplete. However, if he reaches 100% strength, he'll be more than good to face the Generation of Miracles. After all..." she trailed off as she looking at the sky through the window.