第43Q

With Aomine marking him, Kagami bounced the ball a few times before making his move to score a basket with the former defending him closely. The two aces were moving so fast that no one could keep up with them, as all they saw were blurry images of them. Everyone in the hall could only stop and watch their showdown. Kagami managed to break past Aomine's defence and aimed for a dunk, only to have the latter blocking it by slapping the ball away.

The ball landed in Sakurai's grasp, and Aomine took this opportunity to dash towards the other side of the curt. Hyuga was in a daze for a few seconds before he realised what was happening, but he was too late to prevent Sakurai from passing the ball to Aomine. Touou's ace caught the ball and tried to break past Kagami, only to have the latter guarding him very closely. Aomine threw the ball towards the hoop, but Kagami managed to change its trajectory, and it went flying towards the photographers, who managed to dodge the ball in time.

'This game...' thought Imayoshi with his mouth agape after witnessing the aces going one-on-one. 'Is this what happens when two guys in the Zone clash?'

The referee suddenly blew his whistle. "Out of bounds!" he shouted. "Black ball!"

'What an unbelievable battle.' thought Riko with an astounded expression. 'Those two are in a completely different dimension.'

"No one's scored for almost a minute." pointed out Koganei.

"What's going to happen now?" asked Tsuchida.

'Because they're both in the Zone, their focus and reaction speed have exceeded their maximums.' thought Akashi.

"Neither one is making progress." said Himuro.

"But why are both teams completely relying on their aces?" asked Takao. "If they passed the ball around to the other four players, couldn't they score?"

"It's pointless." replied Midorima, getting his teammate's attention. "It wouldn't change the outcome. The Zone doesn't simply allow one to exhibit 100% of his strength. All unnecessary information is cut. His ability to handle necessary information regarding not only the player in front of him, but also the positions and movements of the other players increases. In other words, his field of view widens. Furthermore, one is the fastest high-school student, and the other is the highest jumper. They are far beyond the range of an ordinary person's defense."

"Against those two, a half-hearted attack would actually be dangerous." explained Kasamatsu. "That's why the game has been left up to the two aces."

'In this situation, how can they- No, they're doing it because they're in this situation.' thought Kise with a small smile.

"Aomine-kun..." trailed off Momoi as she reminisced about her childhood friend. 'He's always been like that.' she thought. 'Since he started playing street ball, the stronger his opponent, the more excitement and focus he played with. He looks like he's having fun. Aomine-kun and Kagami-kun; the sparks the two aces sent flying captivated the entire stadium. It seemed to continue endlessly, and everyone wished it would. However, the conclusion was sudden.'

Suddenly, Kagami drove past Aomine, which surprised him and everyone else, and scored a basket. "He passed him!" cheered Furihata.

"Kagami!" cheered Koganei.

"We're only three points behind now!" added Tsuchida. Kagami's teammates rushed over to give him give either a high-five or a pat on his back.

'That's impossible.' thought the shocked Imayoshi. 'Is Kagami faster? What's going on?'