Better than Broken

Jungkook's POV

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

Y/N brushes at the collar of his pristine white dress shirt, fussing over Jungkook like a nervous mother. Her eyes are creased in stress, scanning over him time and again like she's waiting for a magic ketchup stain to appear out of thin air and ruin his outfit.

They're out in the hallway, hovering in the empty space between their apartment and Jimin's door down the hall.

Jungkook's been spiffed up in a pair of black slacks and a nice white dress shirt, his hair styled to perfection in the manner that he learned from Jimin. His ear glitter with their usual piercings, and his lips feel a little sticky with chapstick. Nerves stack his body at the thought of working today without Y/N or Jimin there to monitor him, but he's excited all the same.

Y/N's reluctance to let him go hangs heavy above his head. She's got on her backpack, dressed in jeans and his favorite cozy sweater.

He likes to cuddle her when she wears it, because the material is so soft against his hands and his face; almost as soft as her skin. He's a little tempted to think that she wore it on purpose today as part of a scheme to keep him from going to work.

Jungkook knows that she doesn't want him doing this.

He knows that she doesn't think he's ready. He knows that if he hadn't seduced her the other night, Y/N never would have let him get a job at the cafe.

But this is what Jungkook needs.

If he's going to stay here by her side, and be his own person, and love his Noona for the rest of his life, he needs to be doing this. Helping to support her, making sure that she isn't struggling alone to bear the burden of his sudden humanity.

'Bringing home the bacon', as Jimin hyung had told the ferrets.

Gently, Jungkook takes Y/N's face in between his hands and leans down the grant her a soft, gentle kiss. Her soft lips pillow his in a way that makes Jungkook momentarily forget why he kissed her; all he can feel are the shivers running through his skin, and the quickening of his heartbeat in response to her touch.

Y/N goes lax under his hands.

Oh yeah. That's what he was trying to do.

Satisfied that she's relaxed a little, Jungkook pulls back from the sweet kiss and gives his beloved Noona a reassuring smile. "I'm fine, Noona. I promise."

Taking her hands in his, he interlaces their fingers and squeezes lightly.

Finally, a smile graces her face, and the stress lines sink back into the smoothness of her skin. "Okay. Okay. You can do this, I know you can. I believe in you."

At that, Jungkook lets a bright grin slide over his lips.

Her confidence is his confidence. Her belief is his belief. With her support, he feels like he can do anything and everything; he can sprout wings and fly like an angel if Y/N is behind him.

Y/N exhales roughly, like she's physically expelling all of the leftover stress from her body. "Jimin's going to take you guys to the coffee shop because I have class, okay? You're going to do great." Releasing his hands, she darts forward and buries herself in his chest.

He willingly enfolds his body around hers, making sure that she can feel all the warmth and love radiating from him as he surrounds her completely.

"I love you, Noona," he says.

Y/N's hands tighten in his shirt, then flatten as she tries to undo the small wrinkles she created. "I love you too, Jungkookie. Now go knock their socks off."