Chapter 15

Zain had been nagging Naima all weekend on why Tawfiq came to their house for dinner.

Naima had explained everything except for the part where he was carrying me.
Unfortunately Aunt Faiza found it necessary to sell her out to Zain.

He had been rambling all weekend about how he thought something was going on between Tawfiq and Naima and he wasn't willing to let it go.

It was Monday morning and if Naima would say the truth, she was a bit excited to have French today- it was not because she wanted to see Tawfiq or anything like that- okay maybe a little but she was excited to have French because they would be watching a movie in French for assignments. French or not, a movie as an assignment was better than anything.

French was however a beautiful language. The language of love. . . According to Google, anyways.

Naima decided to avoid Zain that morning because she couldn't stay to listen to his teasing which was getting on her last nerves. "There is nothing going on between Him and I, Zain, for Heaven's sake." She remembered clearly telling him that yesterday but he wouldn't budge.

〰️

When she arrived to school, she saw Belinda and waved at her to catch her attention. Belinda squinted at her and smiled when she realized it was Naima.

Naima walked towards her and gave her a smile.

"How are you, Naima?" She asked first.

"I'm fine, how are you too?" Naima asked her.

"Fine. How did the football game go?" She questioned, as they started walking inside.

Naima couldn't tell her she was the Mascot because shecdidn't want anyone-and she meant anyone-to know. Not because she was ashamed but because she didn't want them to try to talk her out of it and change her mind.

"I don't really know anything about football only soccer but Valley View did win the game." Naima shrugged.

"Really? I also like football -not this football but soccer football-you get me right?" she giggled as she fixed a strand of her kinky hair back.

"You are funny." Naima said to her sincerely.

Naima stopped by her locker and they promised to see each other at lunch hopefully if they weren't held up, In Shaa Allah.

They waved at each other and Belinda walked away.

Naima opened her locker and placed the books she wouldn't need for French from my bag into the locker and took out some needed books from inside the locker.

A few students were in class already when she entered. Most were sitting on the desks talking to each other. Naima knew where they normally sat and that wasn't where they were today. They were at the back of the class.

'Since when did they move there?'

It wasn't really her problem though. But that would change when as she was walking to get to her seat, she spotted her name on a desk by the window. The second desk from the front.

Were they having some sort of test? Mrs. Petit didn't tell her anything about a test when she went to see her to catch up for the class she had missed. So what was all this?

More people entered the classroom and they all realized their positions had been changed.

Some found their seats far away from their 'friends' and the commotion that broke out was just a sight to behold.

"Tout le monde, taisez-vous!" Mrs. Petit screamed as she entered the class.(All right everyone, be quiet!)

"Oui madame!" everyone chorused.
It was the usual response to anything she said. Even if she was insulting everyone, they would shout 'oui ' (yes, madam)