Chapter 52

Everyone was ecstatic when Naima and Tawfiq told them they were expecting a child at the end of the first trimester.

Naima had insisted they tell everyone at the end of the first trimester because by then they'd be certain there would be no problems.

It was almost midnight when Naima got up from bed to visit the washroom.
Tawfiq wasn't on the bed when she got up.
Where was he?

So after doing her business, she went out of the room to look for him.

When Naima got downstairs, she found him sitting on the floor with crossed legs and his back lying at the foot of the couch.
He was reading something. Naima walked closer to him, and she realized it was the Quran.

"You're up." Tawfiq stated.

"Yes, I woke up to use the bathroom and you weren't there." Naima explained and sat down by him on the floor.

"Sorry, just had the urge to read, tonight." Tawfiq said.

"You understand it? My Arabic isn't really good so I don't understand a lot of stuff." Naima yawned.

"I do understand. But the Quran's Arabic is a little different from the ordinary Arabic. Don't worry though. I will teach you next time." Tawfiq smiled at her.

"Thank you." Naima mumbled to him and placed her head on his shoulder.

"I'm not yet done. You can go to bed." Tawfiq insisted.

"Not yet. I feel like listening to you recite the Quran." Naima said lowly.

"If that's what you want. But lay down, the posture you are in isn't really good for you." Tawfiq helped her lay down and place her head on his laps.

"You good?" Tawfiq looked down at her.

"Better." Naima assured.

Tawfiq started to recite the Quran from Surah Rahman.
His intonation was so soothing that it made Naima cry in between. He wiped away her tears and continued.

By the time he had finished a few surahs, Naima was already fast asleep.

"What would I do without you, Habiba?" Tawfiq whispered to a sleeping Naima.

He picked her up from the ground and sent her up to their room for her to sleep.
He checked the time. It was almost 4 am.

"Ya Allah, please protect Naima and our child from whatever will come their way. Please help me have sabar (patience) in dealing with my mother. Aamin." Tawfiq prayed incessantly before he fell asleep.

**

"But I just want sweatpants!" Naima whined.

"But your mom said no sweatpants for you. Just long oversized maternity dresses." Tawfiq smirked.

"It will make me look fat." Naima groaned.

"Whether you look fat or not, I'll still love you. That's all that matters right?" Tawfiq questioned.

Naima just gave him a funny face.

"Then I will take yours." Naima suggested.

"My sweats are too big for you." Tawfiq chuckled.

"We'll see about that." Naima smirked.

"Let's just get the stuff, Kay? We have to get stuff for you and the baby's nursery. So far, we only have one baby shoe." Tawfiq noted.

"Which was way overpriced. It's just for a baby! Like how is a little shoe like that be much more expensive than half the stuffs in my wardrobe." Naima commented.