Chapter 2

***

Livvy was dead. Dead. Julian's heart slowly crumbled, as he kneeled beside his dead little sister. Livvy, who only a few days earlier, he had carried to bed. Only fifteen years old. She had come along because of him. And now, because he trusted Annabel, the consul was broken. But he didn't cry. No, not in front of Dru, and Tavvy. He had to be strong. His family, and Emma, was all that mattered. He would die, to protect them.

***

Emma wiped away her tears. Livvy was like her sister, the little girl who was interested in red headed Captain Americas. And most of all, she was Julian's sister. Ty would be heartbroken. Emma could not bear to see his reaction. She saw Clary and Jace, a crying Isabelle and Simon headed her way. Julian stalked off into another hall, and Emma set off after him. 

"Jules?" He turned around, and Emma hugged him. "You can cry now, Jules. Its ok." He sobbed into her hair. 

"Emma," he groaned. Emma pulled him into a kiss, in the shadows, where no one could see them.

"Emma?" Clary called, her footsteps nearing. They quickly pulled apart. Clary stopped at the sight of them. "Oh, Julian, I'm so sorry about...Livvy." Julian looked away, and Emma felt something snag at her heart. Isabelle appeared at her side, and it all came back to her. The one person who could solve their parabatai problem, was now dead. Because of Annabel. She wanted to plunge Cortana into her heart, like she had, to Livvy. Jace, stumbled in, a startled look on his face.

"The Mortal sword--"

"Is broken, I know," Emma said, coldly. "I broke it." She looked back, at the shocked faces, and she realized, that she didn't feel even a morsel of regret for it. It had ruined Annabel's life. And now, Julian's.

          Jace headed over to the remains of the mortal sword and picked them up. Some while ago, as Jace remembered, he and Clary were trying to keep this very object from the reach of the notorious Valentine Morgenstern. Now as it was lying in pieces.

Julian looked blankly down at the floor, Emma knew what it felt like, losing a family member. It felt like part of your souls was wrenched out of your body to be lost forever. Julian had enough of that, he had already lost his parents and now Livvy. Julian had tried to protect all his siblings with all his life, and now it must have felt heart breaking for him to see his sister die in front of him as he could not do anything. Jace motioned for Simon, Clary and Isabelle to head outside with him so that they could give Emma and Julian some space. Just as they were exiting, Tiberius Blackthorn walked into the room.

" Jules, I think that Magnus might be-"

He stopped suddenly, spotting Livvy's lifeless body lying on the floor. 'Oh no' Emma thought. Julian started to get up to go to Ty, but Ty lost it and ran out of the room after dropping his dagger. Julian ran after him. Emma dropped on the floor and stared at Livvy's body, hoping that this was all a dream and that Livvy would suddenly come back.