Chapter 3

Emma slowly put on her newly bought white silk dress as she got ready for the funeral. She looked at herself in the mirror, thoughtlessly. The the strapless ivory dress hung down to her ankles. Her hair was binded into a simple braid down her back, and Cortana glimmered at her side.

"Emma, let's go...." Cristina strode in, in a similar attire. She sighed, and grabbed her hand.

"How's Mark?" Cristina gave her a 'you-know-exactly-how-mark-is-look.' She pulled out of Cristina's grasp. "Then, you go help him, he needs you," Emma gave her a knowing look.

"Julian needs you as much." Emma froze.

"I'll get the kids," she replied, ignoring the comment. There was no need to make things worse. Their mission was to stop Annabel, everything had to be put aside; and the best thing she could do for Julian, was be his parabatai; like she had been since they were 12. She quickly strode out of the room, before Cristina could stop her.

Ty, Dru, and Tavvy, were all gathered in Ty's guest room in the Shadowhunter Academy. She was surprised to find Kit, comforting Ty. She picked up Tavvy, and took Dru's hand. The air in the room was somber.

"Time to go." To Livvy's funeral. Ty got up silently, with Kit on his trail. She stopped Kit for a second. "Look after him," She said softly. Kit's blue eyes met with her brown ones, and he gave a small nod, and followed Ty out.

***

Julian left his guest room, alone. The empty space beside him pierced his heart. A crowd, clothed in white, parted for him. He spotted Mark with his head on Cristina's shoulder. Ty was a statue at Kit's side. He finally spotted Emma, holding Dru, with Tavvy at her hip. She looked like an angel in the flowy ivory dress, her hair gleaming like gold. His heart roared inside his chest. 

He stood beside her, and her bare shoulder brushed his, a comforting gesture. Only Emma knew how to make him feel like that. They both stared helplessly as Livvy's body was taken to the pyre to be burned to ashes. Shadowhunter ritual. Emma looked over at Ty. He was sobbing into Kit's shoulders. The man by Livvy's body placed her on a pile of twigs and went over to get the torch. Looking at Ty's eyes, Julian could tell that he wanted to run up and grab his sisters body and run away. Memories came flooding back to him, he remembered when Livvy took her first steps and when she used to laugh when he fed her food. And the times when Livvy would try to sneak extra candy for Ty. He struggled to hold back tears and was unsuccessful. The man next to Livvy's body lowered the torch and set the body on fire. Ty started to cry harder and harder as Livvy's body burned away. Mark and Cristina came over and hugged him in a bear hug and did not let go. Soon Livvy's body was reduced to ashes. Clary, who was standing next to Jace, also had tears running down her face as she remembered throwing her brother's ashes into the river. Hoping in another place, Sebastian was the brother she always wanted, the boy with greens eyes. As the man put the ashes into the box to be buried, Ty suddenly broke away from Mark and Cristina and ran up to the man.

"Please, i-if I may" said Ty between sobs, "May I take my twin's ashes instead of her being buried."

As if the man understood his pain, he gave Ty the box with his sister's ashes and hugged him gently.  Ty held the box gently in his hands, like he was savoring the last bit he had of Livvy and walked back to his family. Inside, Ty knew his sister would be there for him, always by his side, protecting him like she had. They left the ceremony quietly, the air filled with sadness. Suddenly the sun shown out of the clouds, as if Livvy were some place were she was peaceful and this was a message from her telling them that she would always be there for them, especially Ty. It was then Emma spotted something, a piece of paper stuck in the crack of the Institute door, like it wanted to be noticed. She took the note and on it said Do not try and follow me or more blood will be spilled,  and it was signed by no one; else but Annabel Blackthorn.