Chapter 16

Emma glared at the tub of hair dye, as she stared in the mirror. She had thoroughly rubbed the disgusting solution on her hair, and let it dry for a half hour. Now it was time to shower. After a long soothing shower, she dried her hair, and changed into a navy blue sweatshirt and jeans. She turned to the mirror, stunned at her reflection. Her hair was a silky copper, the color of a summer sunset. And to her surprise, it suited her, blending well with her golden brown eyes. She sighed to herself, and grabbed a pair of sunglasses. Julian could recognize her with his eyes covered.

***

Cristina contemplated their group, dressed in normal mundane clothes, the only thing that would catch attention, would be their sunglasses. She had her trusty butterfly knives inside her sweater, all of them similarly armed. The tension was palpable, all of them scanning every single person they passed. Julian, at her side, looked tense, his sunglasses hiding his bloodshot eyes. They headed to the dining room for a quick breakfast. Really, the reason they were here so early was to look for Emma. They sat, the silence unnerving, blindly forking their food. Her eyes keeping track of the blondes, none of them Emma. Her heart strained with worry. But nothing that could compare to the heartbreak that Julian was feeling.

***

He could not feel. All he felt was the burning rage, and the ice cold betrayal and heartbreak. He had promised himself he would kill his sister's murderer, and Emma knew that. She was going to protect him again. Protecting him without letting him know why. His trust had already had chinks in it, but what he saw on his phone finally breached it. There was a gaping hole. Suddenly, his parabatai rune throbbed, as if the hook Emma had left deep in his heart, was pulled brutally. Julian stiffened. Mark noticed. He glanced at him, vigilant.

"What?" Mark murmured. Cristina turned her attention to him.

"Parabatai mark." he managed to choke out. The pain was unbearable. Cristina and Mark sent anxious looks at each other. He gulped down some ice cold water, which only dimmed the pain a little. The room instantly went silent. He turned to see why. A cluster of waiters rushed to the scene. A ginger haired girl. She was choking. Or something. Her dark haired companion waved them away, holding her carefully. She seemed to be in agony. Her curtain of auburn hair pulled back. He dropped his glass, causing all eyes to turn to him. Cristina and Mark followed his trail of sight. Emma's eyes widened, either for seeing him or the incredible intensity of agony streaming through both of them. Her companion's sapphire eyes met his emerald blue ones. He grabbed Emma's arm dragging her out the door. Mark bolted after them. Julian stood up, as he felt the pain gradually decreasing, he made to race after him, but Cristina darted to his side.

"You can't catch her, Julian." He was silent. "We're fighting a blind war. Blind to our allies, blind to our enemies.