Chapter 8

Julian had just walked into the entrance hall with mark when Emma barged down the stairs, Cristina on her heels.

"Wait, where are you going?" Mark looked at the car keys jangling in Emma's hand.

"Shopping." Cristina shrugged at their confused looks. "Emma will tell you her crazy plan later. I'm going because I'm, not letting her step into that A-"

"Awesome place, she means awesome place." Emma headed to the doors.

"I'm driving," Julian snatched the keys from Emma's hand, earning an annoyed look from Emma, just like the days when they were only parabatai. He gave her a playful look.

"And I'll look after the kids." Everyone just stared at Mark.

"Last time you looked after them, the kitchen was destroyed and Dru had stomach problems for a week," Emma raised her eyebrows.

"I won't step into the kitchen."

"My poor kitchen," Julian muttered. 

"I can hear you, brother," Mark called after them.

***

Emma kicked her feet up and took in the sea breeze as they crossed the bridge to the city. The ocean sparkled beneath them, and she could hear the soft calming sounds of the waves. Julian cleared his throat.

"The plan?" She avoided his eyes while answering.

"We go to London as mundanes, the Clave and Annabel won't expect that. And by we, I mean; me, myself and I."

"No one's going to let you go on your suicide plan, Emma," Cristina groaned from the back.

"Don't even try and argue, Emma. Whither thou goest, I will go." She could feel Julian's gaze on her. "I'm your parabatai for a reason."

"Is the reason, to stop me from accidentally destroying the world?" Emma stared at her hands. "Well, if you keep trying to be within 5 feet from me, you might as well be destroying the world with me."

"We'll find a way, Emma." His face turned into that emotionless mask that Emma always hated; once again, and they drove the rest of the way in silence.

***

The streets of Los Angeles were crowded with people of all ages, and Julian felt relieved to be walking without having to kill anything for once. He followed behind Cristina and Emma, Cristina unsuccessfully trying to drag Emma into non antique stores, and Emma ignoring her. Emma's golden locks were haloed by the pink and orange light of the evening sky. It was something he would of painted, if he wasn't trying to not go insane.

"That's Macy's, Emma have you never seen the 21st century?" Cristina said, frustrated.

"Sorry, Cristina, it's just that, I'M A FREAKING SHADOWHUNTER." Cristina just sighed, and Julian gave her an apologetic look.

"You know what Emma? I'll buy your clothes. And Julian, just keep her from buying any antique clothes." Cristina almost ran into the store. Emma turned to him, opening her mouth to say something, but stopping.

"So, could I possibly convince you not to come?" Julian crossed his arms.

"Emma," he sighed.

"Jules," She imitated playfully.

"When will you stop calling me that ridiculous nickname."

"When you stop being ridiculous?" She toyed with a lock of her hair, and sat down on one of the benches scattered throughout the streets. Julian joined her, their shoulders touching. And to his surprise, Emma leaned into him, and put her head down on his shoulder. It was something that she would do as his parabatai, but it was a relief to be touching her, even the slightest. A couple walked past, the boy had his arm around the girl, and they smiled without worrying about destroying the world and fighting wars. It would kill Emma if she was exiled and to live as mortals, but sometimes Julian wished he could just love Emma to his heart's desire, without a care in the world.