Chapter 22

I woke up to Anna jumping on my bed at 8 o'clock in the morning.

"Mom! Guess what day it is!" shrieked Anna.

I was still half asleep and my brain didn't register Anna's speech.

"What?"

"Today is the day I start kindergarten!" laughed Anna.

"Of course it is! Come on, lets go get you dressed in a brand new outfit."

After a second thought I said, "Anna, you can choose your own clothes today and get dressed. After all, you are a big girl now that your starting school!"

Anna shrieked delightedly at the idea of being a big girl and rushed off to get dressed.

I got out of bed and quickly got dressed. I started making pancakes for Anna as a treat. After all, she was never going to start school again.

Anna, at 5 years old, was starting kindergarten. I suppose it was a young age to begin school, especially as her birthday was only a few months ago, but she was definitely capable. She was very mature for her age, and quite smart at writing and reading. I knew she was ready.

I placed a couple of warm pancakes on a plate for Anna, then stuffed some more in her packed lunch.

Anna then came through into the kitchen. She was wearing turquoise leggings with a little blue denim skirt, a colourful shirt and white sneakers. At first I goggled at her fashion choice, but then I realised that it was her first time dressing herself. It could of been a lot worse.

"Pancakes!" shouted Anna, and rushed to get a seat at the table.

"Anna! Be careful! You don't want to get sauce all over your new outfit." I said.

Anna paid no attention to me and inhaled the pancakes. Thankfully though, for the first time ever, Anna kept herself completely clean.

"Go brush your teeth and collect your. school things," I said, being the organised mother.

When Anna comes back I help her organise her school things. She picked herself out a new bright blue rucksack that was slightly on the expensive side, but I wanted Anna's first day of school to be special.

Together me and Anna packed her bag. We filled it with pens, pencils and notebooks. It was weird to think that only 7 or 8 years ago, I was still in school and packing my own school bag.

"Mom?" asked Anna.

I have to say, it kind of hurt when Anna started calling me Mom, instead of Mommy. I guess she was growing up.

"Yes?" I smiled.

"Could you put my hair into bunches please?"

"Sure," I said.

I brushed out Anna's dark blonde hair, and twisted it into two bunches on the top of her head. I used blue bobbles to match her leggings.

She turned around and grinned a huge grin at me that was almost too big for her face, like when Augustus laughed. Anna's eyes lit up too when she smiled. They had darkened over the years and were now a dark mahogany just like Gus'.

"Hey, lets get going!" I say to Anna.

Since Anna moved up a year, she's starting a brand new school a lot closer to the apartment, only 5 minutes walk away.

When we reach outside the apartment I remember something.

"Anna! Lets get a picture of you before you start your big today!" I exclaim.

I get out my phone and take a quick picture of Anna ready to walk to school. Then we begin slowly walking as to make sure I don't lose my breath.

We finally reached the school. It seemed a lot bigger than her old school, but Anna didn't seem daunted. We reached a porch, and only a couple of metres away a classroom labeled 'Kindergarten'. I could see that no other parents were following their children into the classroom, so I didn't want to be to clingy.

"See you later sweetie!" I said to her. "I'll come pick you up at half past three."

Anna wasn't really listening though, she was turning her head to face her fellow classmates and new teacher. I should of felt upset or sad, but I really didn't.

When I reached home again, I felt as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I don't know exactly why, I just felt at peace. I lay on the couch and closed my eyes, relaxing...

I woke up out of my nap when the phone started ringing. I realised I had been asleep for a couple of hours. I yawned and reached for the phone.

"Hi?" I asked sleepily.

"Hello. Is this Hazel Lancaster, Anna's Mom?" said a posh English voice on the other end of the phone.

"Yes it is. Is everything okay?" I asked, beginning to get worried.

"I'm afraid there's been an accident..."

Author's Note:

Sorry that I've not updated in ages, been so busy. But now it's finally summer, woohoo!

Random question, but based on my writings, how old do you think I am? I think it would be funny for you guys to guess my age, so have a go!(: