Chapter 3

Or was this even a dream anymore?

It's definitely not a dream. I woke up and looked at my sun-filled room. I loved when the sun shined into my room. I swung my feet over to the side of the bed and I walked around on the cold wooden floor towards the window.

I took a seat at my bay window and I looked at the freshly fallen snow covering New York City. It's been about four years since I was transported into this time. It's now the year 1780.

Honestly, I missed my mother every day and I keep wondering what she was doing at the moment. She had to go four years without her daughter. I figured that I was dead in my time and that there was no getting back. So I just gave up on going back.

I learned a lot in the four years I've lived here with the sisters. Peggy has taught me what to do and what to say as a woman in New York. Angelica has taught me to be more confident with myself. Eliza has taught me French and a bit of piano. I enjoyed every day with the sisters. They always had something planned for each day.

I was in my thoughts when I heard my door open. I turned around to see Peggy standing in the doorway. She was dressed in her yellow nightgown and her hair was not brushed yet.

"Oh sorry I was just checking to see if you were up. We have to go out to town today so start getting ready."

I got up from my seat and I walked to my closet.

"What are we going into town for?"

"Tonight is the famous Winter's ball. "

I stopped before I opened my closet, "That's tomorrow!"

She laughed, "Yes it's tomorrow. How could you forget? The soldiers are joining us this year and you couldn't stop talking about it last week."

I giggled and I scratched the back of my neck, "I can't believe I forgot."

"Me either."

Peggy then walked out and I started to get ready. Eliza had shown me how to lace up my own corset and it actually wasn't that hard. I was just overreacting the first time I saw a corset. Even though I had been wearing them for four years already, they were still uncomfortable to wear. Peggy says it just takes time getting used to it. So at this rate, I'm never gonna get used to the pain.

I looked through my closet and picked out an off-white long-sleeved gown. I then put on the layer that went above the gown. It was a (f/c) overcoat that hugged tight around my waist and then loosely fell to my sides. I went looking through my closet again and I pulled out my long red cloak to make sure I stayed warm.

With the three winters, I've lived through in this time I've learned one thing. Winter in this time is a lot colder than the winters back in my time. I wrapped the cloak around my shoulders and I tied the ribbon in front. I opened my door and I walked across the hall to knock on Peggy's door.

After I knocked she opened her door quickly to reveal her in her faded yellow cloak. We smiled at each other and we both went downstairs to wait for Angelica and Eliza. While we were waiting we grabbed our gloves to keep our hands warm as well. It only took a few minutes for Angelica and Eliza to finish getting ready.

When they were finally downstairs both Angelica and Eliza held a basket full of invitations. I grabbed one of the baskets and we made our way out to the cold streets.

We decided to split up. Peggy went with me and Angelica and Eliza went together. I don't know why but Peggy and I just relate to each other more so I get along better with her. We walked around handing out the invitations to whoever we could. We had a whole basket full and there were plenty enough to hand out to the soldiers.