Chapter 27

-earlier that day-

I opened my eyes and Alexander was not in bed next to me. I sat up and I walked through the house to see if he was home yet. I checked every room and I still could not find him. The children were still asleep so he wouldn't be in any of their rooms.

I thought that maybe he went into Philip's room to remember and mourn him. I haven't been in his room in years but Alexander goes in there often. I opened the bedroom door and everything was in the same place that it was the morning that he died.

I walked into the room and Alexander wasn't in there. Since I haven't been in my son's room in years I decided to look at his poems for memories. I walked over to his desk and the papers that were on his desk were untouched. I picked them up and I read some of his poems. He always had a great way with words.

I was interrupted by a loud knock on the door. I rushed out of Philip's room and I ran to the front door. I swung the door open and there was a random man standing in front of me dressed in black. Last time a random man in black arrived at my house my son died.

"Mrs. Hamilton please come with me."

"Of course just give me one moment."

I pulled out a piece of paper and a pen and I wrote a note to the children that I would be gone for a while. I then rushed out of my home with the man. He led me to his horse and he helped me mount it.

"Wait sir, I don't know where I'm going."

He gave me directions and I asked why he wasn't coming with me.

"If I get on that horse it'll only slow you down. You need to get to your husband as fast as possible."

I was a little confused.

"Wait what's wrong with Alexander!"

He looked up at me, "There's no time to talk, go!"

I thanked him and the horse took off at full speed. I followed his directions and I arrived at a place I have never been to. I jumped off of the horse and I rushed inside. A doctor was luckily waiting for me when I ran inside. I looked at him and I grabbed him by the collar of his coat.

"What happened to my husband!"

He took my hands off of his coat and he placed his hands onto my shoulders.

"Mrs. Hamilton you're husband was in a duel and he was shot. He-"

I cut him off.

"Is he going to survive?"

"He seems to be holding up fine right now, but only time will tell."

He pointed down the hall at a certain door.

"He is in that room."

I ran down the hall and I swung open the door. I had tears falling from my eyes like a waterfall by now. I ran to the side of his bed and I knelt down to face him.

"Alexander why didn't you tell me? You could have been in bed with me instead of being here."

He tried to sit up but I forced him to lay back down.

"I'm sorry. I thought that you would be mad at me. I did my best but I had to throw away my shot."

I held onto his hand tightly, I didn't want to let go of him. I couldn't have him leave me.

A doctor walked into the room and I looked back at him.

"Have someone go to the Schuyler residence and get Elizabeth and Angelica."