Chapter 26

-One month later-

Angelica, Eliza, and I finished setting up Eliza Holly's new room. Over this past month life at my old home was getting worse. Every time someone passed Philip's room we started to break down and cry.

When Eliza and Angelica heard about Philip's death they came to help us as soon as possible. Eliza offered us to stay with her for some time. While Angelica offered for Eliza to stay with us so she could help with anything. I kindly said that we would be okay and that it would just be hard to stay at home.

So my father offered us to move into one of the houses near his until we felt comfortable to return back to our old home. I accepted his offer and soon enough, we were moved uptown into a new home.

Alexander's POV

(Y/N) and I have not talked in over a month. The last time we talked I found out that she was pregnant again.

I would usually spend most of my time in the garden of our new home or walking the streets uptown.

Whenever I walked uptown I heard people whisper about my family. Everyone knew that I was going through the unimaginable right now and I hated it. I was determined to change my life for the better, I had to change to show (Y/N) that I am a good man.

So I started to take the children to church on Sundays and I started to pray. I was shocked because that never used to happen before. When I walked to the store or around the streets I noticed how quiet it was uptown, I usually never liked the quiet. Philip would've loved it here uptown.

It was a new day and I walked down the stairs of my new home and went to the garden. As soon as I stepped outside I saw (Y/N) sitting on a small concrete bench. She looked up to the sky and I could hear her trying to hold in her cries. She's been taking Philip's death the hardest, and I hate that I can't do anything to help her.

I walked over next to her and she slowly turned her head away from me. I sat down in the grass and I tried to speak to her without breaking down in tears.

"Look at where we are, look at where we started."

She started to fidget with her hands.

"I know I don't deserve you (Y/N) but hear me out, that would be enough."

I looked up towards her and she still had her face turned away from me.

"If I could spare his life, if I could trade his life for mine, he'd be standing here right now and you would smile, and that would be enough. I don't pretend to know the challenges we're facing. I know there's no replacing what we've lost, and you need time."

She shifted in her seat, but still faced away from me.

"But I'm not afraid, I know who I married. Just let me stay here by your side, that would be enough."

Her eyes looked down at the ground for only a moment before she stood up and walked to the gate. She looked forward but she stopped and stood there, was she waiting for me? When I stood from my spot I walked next to her and then she continued. She was waiting for me!

We walked down the street and I talked to her, even though she didn't reply. I wanted her to know that even though we were going through the unimaginable I would still be by her side talking and comforting her.

"(Y/N) do you like it uptown? It's quiet uptown..."

There was no reply except for her heels clicking against the street. I looked up at the sky and I had to say something that would make her forgive me, but what would I say? I've said everything I could think of, except for one thing.