✦ twenty-four ✦

( tuesday, april 17, 2018 )

ben arrived home from the theater quickly, as he had no one holding him back after his stage dooring was over. he tossed his backpack down by the door and slid out of his shoes. ben dragged his feet to his room, where he shed his clothes and pulled on pajama bottoms and a hoodie. it wasn't freezing in the apartment, but the air conditioning made the room cooler.

ben curled up underneath his blankets, crying silently to himself. it all just came on way too fast. his argument with rylee, he meant. it was barely a few weeks ago when they were perfectly fine. then one day rylee just began acting like a completely different person.

he didn't understand what he had done.

but maybe it wasn't him. no, it couldn't have been. maybe it was the stress from the show. the stress from the show and the stress from paying bills and the stress from having a clingy best friend who treated her like a girlfriend.

he cried a little harder, clutching his pillow and holding it stiffly to his face.

she was one of his closest friends and losing her over something so internally ridiculous was insane to think about. he told her as much as he could that she could trust him with anything. and ben couldn't imagine what it was that she didn't think she could trust him with.

ben's bedroom door creaked open slowly as dan deluca peeked his head in. he was clad in pajamas, too, his hair ruffled from the long day he'd had at work. dan heard ben's sobbing when he walked past the room. so, he stopped and listened more only to hear it intensify.

ben lightly lifted his head, then saw dan and sat up completely. he grabbed the tissue box by his bed and wadded up clumps to dab at his flushed face.

dan carefully sat on the edge of ben's bed, setting a hand on the younger boy's shoulder. "you okay?" he asked, massaging his thumb into ben's shoulder.

"not really," ben shook his head. he laughed at himself, glancing down at his crossed legs. "do i look as bad as i feel?"

"even worse," dan scoffed, gaining a heavier laugh from ben. "there's a smile."

ben tolled his eyes playfully and wiped more tears from his eyes. "do you have some spare time to talk?"

"anything for you, benny boy." dan moved to sit beside ben against the headboard and pulled the covers up and over their legs. "what's wrong with you?"