Chapter 1

"15 years ago I detected an underground anomaly" Joe begins as he takes a sip of his drink.

They are currently in a pub, surrounded by men who are drunk or one drink away from being.

But to James, this is a normal thursday evening.

Joe puts his drink down, sighing as he looks back at James.

"Everyone thought it was just some random earthquake. No one believed me. And the signal just kept on getting stronger, until the energy facility I worked in collapsed, killing everyone that hadn't evacuated, including my wife" He finishes.

James croses his arms after a moment, leaning back in his chair.

"I'm sorry. For your wife" Then his eyebrows bunch together, and he leans forward, slightly confused.

"But what does that have to do with me being here?" He questions over the sound of the pub.

"Ah." Joe continues. "Several months ago I started studying echolocation, and realised that the earthquakes that were happening in Japan were just messages of a creature trying to communicate. To what? I can't say" Joe continues, his hands joining together in front of him, resting on the sticky table.

Then he reaches down to his briefcase and pulls out a file, handing it to James.

"I think there are some people that are hiding something, in that reactor facility in Japan. Something... like what you encountered on that island. I need your help in finding out what it is exactly that is in there, and protecting me, my son and his family if something is to happen" Joe says.

James's eyebrows rise.

"And I am going to help you take this creature down by myself?" He questions.

Joe shakes his head, opening another file and pulling out a paper.

"I know you're a tracker, and I need you to help me find someone else who can help us" He says before handing the paper out to him.

James takes it, his lips pursing and his brow furrowing as he reads further down the lines.

"is this person needed?" He asks Joe as he puts the paper down roughly into the table, clearly irritated.

Joe purses his lips, looking at the paper and then back at James.

"Conrad. She was in the island with you. She knows about these types of things. I need you to help me find her, because in the reports I have read, all say that she went missing two years ago, and no one can find her. Untraceable. But not to you. I know you can track her, you just haven't tried" Joe reasons with him, pointing to the persons picture on the file.

"She also has army training, something that can help us if anything goes wrong, which right now looks like a lot of things" Joe reasons, staring at James's stoic face.

James takes in a deep breath, rubbing a hand through his newly grown beard and then up into his hair, examining the situation.

"What do I get in return?" He finally asks.

Joe chuckles, shaking his head.

"I was wondering when you'd ask that" He says as he leans back and pulls out a paper from his jacket pocket. He unfolds it, scanning it for a moment before laying it down on the table.

"This is a bank account I put it to your name and Miss Wilson's. When I die, which I don't think will be long from now considering my age, this account will open, and you can have whatever is stashed inside of it" He says, smirking at him.

James takes the paper, reading the receipt of the money that was deposited into the account, his eyebrows rising as he looks at the amount.

"I get all this, to help you take down a creature?" He questions, looking at Joe slightly amused.

Joe nods, taking another sip of his drink.

"Well, you and Miss Wilson of course, when you find her" He tells him.

James nods, putting the paper down.

He could do one of two things.

One: leave the pub right there and then and go on with his life, never facing another monster like the ones in Skull Island, to live a calm and boring life. To possibly get married in a couple of years, find a desk job to maintain his family and then die after a lot of hard work.

Or, he could take the offer, find Charlotte, try to kill this monster and possibly die trying. He could die, but at least he'd die in peace.

He considers for a moment,  the sound of her hearty laugh echoing in his ears as if it had been just yesterday. Truth was, he was beggining to forget what she looked like.  What he'd do to see her again.

In that moment he knew what needed to be done.

"I'll do it" He says after a moment of silence.

Joe smiles and he claps his hands together.

"Well, I'll give you... 3 weeks to find Miss Wilson, and then I will meet you at this apartment. I'll explain the next step when you and Miss Wilson get there" Joe says, handing him a piece of paper, his address spelled lazily on it, as if it was written in a rush.

James nods, slipping the address into the insides of his coat.

"What exactly are we dealing with?" He questions,curious.

Joe goes silent, looking at his drink.

"I don't know yet, but whatever it is, it's going to bring destruction and mayhem to the entire world"

+++
(Edited Dec 12 2018)

a/n: I am so sorry these chapters are so small!!!

I promise the story picks up in the next
chapter