Chapter 11

Lone Pine, California.

Charlotte can hear the rumbling of loud machines and the shouts of men giving orders outside as they run forward just outside of the truck.

The gravel crunches underneath her as she jolts from side to side, her shoulders bumping against James and Ford.

She looks around the packed and humid truck filled with bulky men, all of them deep in silence as they stare out the darkened back window and exhales a breath. Everything she is going through reminds her of when she was in the army, serving for her country.

Finally, the truck comes to a stop and the doors open up roughly, all of the soldiers instantly rushing out, everyone knowing where to go as they disperse around the base.

The cold, fresh air brushes against Charlotte's hair as she steps out last, jumping out of the tall truck and wiping her hands on her pants, wincing as the direct sunlight hits her face.

She looks around the small town-like place, the closed down stores now making offices and hiding places for the upcoming mission. There's a forest surrounding them, making the town look picturesque and vintage.

Charlotte let's out a happy sigh at the sight of the town. For the past two years she had known nothing but building filled cities, and it was good to change the scenery once in a while, even if it was during these circumstances.

And she had to admit, America had a beautiful aura to it, if she stood still for a moment and took it all in, she might have thought she was in a completely different place.

"Come on" James mutters at her, walking forward and trailing after Ford, Charlotte sighs, moving forward and walking behind Ford, who comes to a stop suddenly.

Charlotte bumps against his broad frame, taking a few steps back before letting out a huff of breath before stepping up besides him, scowling.

"What was that for?" She questions roughly, looking at his face.

"It's a train" James finally states, his eyes looking at what Ford is seeing.

Charlotte's head snaps into that direction silently, watching as the train lets out a loud sound, trailing forward slowly and heavily, soldiers hanging out of the sides as they step in and out of the trains wagons.

Her mouth snaps shut when she sees what it's carrying.

"Are they trying to kill it?" She then questions to no one in particular, her head cocking to the side in confusion as her brows furrow.

No one says anything for a moment, the three of them looking at the soldiers around them.

"Alright! Everyone listen up! This train and these weapons are headed to San Francisco!" A soldier hollers from somewhere in the camp.

James's mouth snaps shut and he finally snaps out of his trance, looking around the base for a moment before turning to look at Ford, who is staring at the giant missile in the train as if it was some kind of defect.

"Everyone not part of this mission, disembark now!" The soldier yells once again as the train comes to a full stop, the soldiers that were once on the train stepping off, while others climb on.

Charlotte purses her lips and looks around, trying to find another way that they could get to San Francisco, except that train.

Then she turns back to James, who is still looking at the train, and then at Ford, who is looking behind him. scanning the area like she had once been a few moments ago.

Then Ford turns to the two of them, a smirk on his face.

"I know what to do" He then mutters, turning around and walking quickly to a new direction.