Chapter 15

"James?"

No answer.

"James?" She questions again.

Charlotte looks around the dark abyss.

Last thing she remembers is falling asleep on the side of the river, James besides her.

She looks around, confusion lacing her features.

"Is anyone out there?"  She questions again, starting to get nervous.

"Charlie"

Charlotte's head snaps around at the sound of the new voice, and she looks around, trying to work out the source.

"Who's there?" She questions after a moment.

"It's me"

Charlotte frowns, looking around the darkness.

Then her face clears, and she palens as she starts to recognize the voice.

"Tyler?" She whispers out after a moment.

A form is created behind her, and she snaps her head around, looking at a smiling Tyler, who is holding his arms out.

Charlotte breaths out and rushes towards him, opening her arms to envelop him in a hug.

She closes her eyes and expects to feel Tyler's warmth, but instead she finds a cold gust of wind passing by her.

Stopping, she opens her eyes and looks around, disappointment rushing through her when she finds him gone.

"Charlotte" another voice calls out.

Charlotte turns around, finding James standing there, a serene smile on his face.

"James? What's going on? I-I don't understand" Charlotte questions, confused as she looks around.

"It's easy" Tyler calls from behind her.

"You just have to choose" James continues, still looking at Charlotte.

Charlotte frowns, looking between James and Tyler.

"Choose what?" She then asks.

James steps towards her.

"Him" he points to Tyler "or me?" He points to himself.

Charlotte's mouth snaps shut, and she can feel a shiver running down her spine.

"Charlie. Come on. It's not that hard. I'm your best buddy. Your pal" Tyler says, his gaze pleading.

"Charlotte. After everything we've been through... you can't really think about choosing him" James asks, his face filled with weakness and sadness.

Charlotte shakes her head, looking between James and Tyler.

"I-I can't choose" she whispers.

"Yeah, you can. It's easy. Which one of us are you going to save"

The scene instantly changes. Now Charlotte is standing on top of a cliff, both men grappling the edge as they try not to fall into the rapids beneath them.