Chapter 8

The US army boat is swarming with activity, soldiers running to and from places, all of them in a rush to go somewhere, papers on their hands while they give out orders, or a phone on their ear as they bark out instructions.

Charlotte walks ahead, her hair swishing around her face as she covers her eyes from the blinding sun with a hand.

James trails behind her, looking around the base as he trails forward, eyebrows furrowed as he tries to block the blinding sun.

"Sir, right now we're 50 miles from Hawaii! This transport will take you there!" An officer shouts out through the loud helicopter whirring, looking back at Ford, who is walking in front of Charlotte and James.

Ford nods sharply, taking a step to climb into the Helicopter but stopping just as he's about to get inside when he sees Charlotte and James behind him.

He does a double take, sighing and taking his foot off the Helicopter step.

"You guys don't have to come with me. I'll be fine on my own" He tells them, his eyes narrowed against the sun as he stares at the both of them.

Charlotte crosses her arms over her chest and jots out a hip.

"With all due respect, Mr.Brody, we're dealing with something out of this world, and I think you'll need our help. Whether you want it or not" She replies, shrugging.

Ford turns to look at James, who also shugs, not giving it another thought.

"Plus, we promised your father we'd look after you and your family, and a deal's a deal" He says simply.

Ford stares at their unmoving figures for a moment before shaking his head and motioning for them to come forward before stepping into the helicopter.

Charlotte lets out a breath of relief before climbing behind him and sitting next to James.

Charlotte straps on her seatbelt, turning to look at James for a moment, the both of them keeping eye contact for a mere second before Charlotte breaks it off and looks out the window as the helicopter takes off into the sky.

Serizawa stares back at them, his face plain and unreadable as the helicopter moves forward.

___

By the time they were arriving on Hawaii, it was night time.

The blue tint of the sky was beginning to blur in the horizon, and the stormy clouds around them could be clearly as they moved forward.

A storm was coming. Charlotte could feel it.

She sighs, looking away from the window to Ford, watching as he dials a number into the big antenna phone and waits for the person to respond. After a few moments he lets out a sigh, running a hand through his hair in frustration as he looks at the floor.

"Elle... I don't- I don't know what they're saying on the news. There was an accident in Japan" Ford pauses, leaning against the window. "Dad's gone. I'll explain when I see you. I'm headed to Hawaii, I'm gonna catch a flight there and... I'll see you soon" With that he takes the phone off his ear and hangs off, sighing as the phone plops down in his lap.

"Let me guess.. Your wife?" James asks after a second, looking at Ford, his tone inquiring.

Ford nods, rubbing his eyes before looking at the both of them.

"Yeah. She's a- a nurse, back in San Fransisco" He explains, nodding mostly to himself.

Charlotte nods silently.