Chapter 18

"Wilson. Captain" The head of the mission calls out after a second, jolting everyone from their quiet state. 

Everyone had been shocked when Charlotte had callen the officer out like that. Seeing a woman on the army was rare, but seeing one that actually defended herself and her honor was a whole other level. 

Charlotte nods, turning from the now pale looking soldier to the head of the mission. 

"Yes?" She questions back curtly, crossing her arms over her chest as she listens to what he's about to say, the captain beside her. 

"When you find the warhead, how long to disarm it?"

The captain shakes his head, his lips pursed as he leans over and looks at the map in front of them. 

"Sir, without seeing the analog model I couldn't even guess" He states honestly. 

Charlotte turns to look at James and Ford, who are standing on the edge of the room. 

"If Conrad and Ford have a chance to look at it... with their expertiese and I think they could do it in under two minutes" Charlotte call out oafter a moment. 

Everyone turns to look at the pair, who are just standing there. They look at eachother, shrugging before looking back at the head of the mission. 

"If we tried we could probably do it in sixty," Ford states after a moment, walking forward to join the conversation, James behind him. 

"That is... if we can access it" James pitches in after a moment, his English accent standing out. 

"We can take care of that device ourselves," Charlotte tells them after a moment, motioning to the three of them. 

"These three are the only people that survived the train attack." A soldier pitches in, motioning to them. 

The captain nods, his gaze shifting between the three of them.

"Well, it sounds like we could use you." 

"With all due respect..." A soldier pitches in, his gaze turning to Charlotte nervously before going back at the rest "If that doesn't work, then what's plan B?" 

The Captain nods, inhaling a breath as he tries to think of something before pointing to the map displayed in the table. 

"The water front is located one click downhill." he pauses, staring at the map as he tries to figure it out. 

"We could get the bomb to the pier, into a boat and as far away as possible" Charlotte pitches in, looking at the Captain. 

The Captain nods after a moment, turning to the rest. 

"Sounds like a good idea. If it doesn't work you get the bomb to the pier and you get it as far away as you can from the city before it detonates" He repeats to make sure everyone understood.

Everyone stays quiet, thinking over the new found plan if something were to go wrong. 

Charlotte sighs, straightening her sleeves. 

Things could go incredibly wrong. People could die. Ford could die. She'd promised Joe that he wouldn't. 

Her gaze shifts to James, who is looking at her. She shrugs lightly as if saying that if they died there was nothing else she could do. Still, she couldn't help but feel the tinge of sadness in the back of her throat as James nodded back. One of them could die, and that could be the end. They'd known eachother for years now, but she'd just stared to realize the real importance that he had had in her life after he'd so suddenly appeared. She can't help but feel a slight thrill as she looked at him.