▪Chapter IV▪

I laid on my bed, rotating the picture Lexi gave me. I checked in family albums and turns out that girl really is me. There's an identical photo in my mum's purse.

Different conclusions were roaming around in my head. But I was sure of one thing. This picture had to come from one of my family members.

Male, hubris character and outcast of the family? My dad.

My instincts were on edge, telling me that he had to be the one who attacked Lexi. Why else would someone have a photo of me? It's not like I'm the most entertaining person.

"Jadelyn honey, you should come down to eat."

My mum strode into my room, uninvited at most, and sat at the edge of my bed, I tucked the photo under my pillow just to avoid weird conversations.

"Mum I told you to stop calling me that, everybody calls me Jade."

"I'm your mother and I gave you the name Jadelyn so this is what I'll call you."

I rolled my eyes in amusement and tucked myself next to her, giving her a big hug.

"Do you know how much I love you old lady?," I asked pinching her nose.

"Yes, yes I do."

Even though my expression was always blank, when it came to my mum I made sure she always knew how much I appreciated her.

"You better come down, dinner is getting cold," she kissed my forehead and was about to leave my room when I stopped her.

"Mum, what do you think happened to dad after he left?"

"I don't know sweetheart and I really don't want to talk about that right now."

"Oh, alright," I laid back down on the bed and my mum left without saying a word.

《--->•<---》

I couldn't sleep, at all. The fact that my supposedly dad might be involved with some really dangerous people made me toss and turn all night. I woke up with bags under my eyes.

I slung my bag over the kitchen countertop and my mum gave me a weird look as she took in my appearance.

"You look...umm... nice?" It came out more as a question instead of a statement.

"Well good morning to you too mother."

I sat on the stool waiting impatiently for my mum to give me my breakfast. Not wanting to put in too much effort on my appearance, I simply gathered my hair together and tied it up into a high ponytail.

"Here you go, eat up it's still hot."

I grabbed my fork and devoured my breakfast. I checked the time and I was out the door even before my mum could say goodbye. How I'm praying for my high school experience to be done with already.

《--->•<---》

I marched down the hallway with a hot steamy cup of coffee in my hand, passing all the glossy blue lockers trying to find my own in the myriad of students.

I yanked it open and grabbed my English textbook before slamming it shut. I was about to walk away when I saw Liam leaning against the wall.

"Look what the cat dragged in." I commented as I stopped infront of a locker close to him and leaned against it.

"Oh, its you again," he replied in a not so amused tone.

"No need to sound so excited about it," I replied sarcastically.