▪Chapter XV▪

"Good morning Jade." I was walking to my locker when Hailee stopped me.

"Debatable whether it's a good morning or not, what's up?"

"Not much, same old I guess. Liam's waiting for you in the library."

I rolled my eyes and let out an annoyed breath. I was at the point where I did not even have a moment to take a breather when I got to school anymore.

I dropped my books off into my locker and made my way directly to the library, a look of irritation on my face.

I found him sitting on his laptop in his usual corner of the library with earphones in his ears. It was so loud that I could hear the distinct sound of drums playing and guitars strumming.

"Cooper,"

He continued looking at his screen.

"Yo Cooper,"

He ignored me again and I hit his leg with my shoe.

"Liam!"

He jumped from his seat, briskly throwing his earphones on the table.

"You scared me!" He shouted and the librarian glared at him from the front desk.

"And you annoy me so I guess we're even."

I took a seat across from him, waiting for him to talk.

"So you called?" I asked bluntly, getting to the point.

"Phoenix loves you."

"What can I say, I'm good at first impressions," I grinned and he shrugged.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever makes you sleep at night. Anyhow, I have a proposition for you."

"I'm listening."

"Steven wants to recruit you, as our hacker."

I shook my head and scrunched my face in confusion. "I'm sorry, me?"

"Yes, he said you've got the skills."

I let out a pfft and turned away, mumbling under my breath, "wouldnt be the first time someone said that."

"Ohh come on. I know you want to accept the offer, what's stopping you?"

I closed my eyes and I knew I was going to regret saying my next words one day.

"Fine, I'll do it."

Me and my poor life choices, partners to the end, until time stands still.

"But I swear if you guys double-cross me you won't live long enough to see your grandchildren grow up."

He gave me a tired look and nodded.

"Stop thinking every secret organisation is the same. Phoenix is not like Hexagon."

"Guess I'll just have to take your word for it," I got up from the chair and left the library, heading to maths class.

I was more or less five minutes late and I entered class to find that the only seat available was the one next to Elena. Great.

I dropped my books on the table and sat down without even acknowledging her presence. I could feel her gaze lingering on me and I shifted in my seat.

"Alright class, today we will be doing pair work. I will assign you to your respective partner and in pairs you will work on a project for the next 40 minutes."

I tapped my pen on the desk waiting for my assigned partner.

"Marcus and Tommy, Julia and Amelie, Tracey and Jake, Dylan and Cole, Evelyn and Morgan, Elena and Jadelyn,"