▪Chapter XXII▪

"Who is this?" I questioned as I put the caller on speaker.

"Well I'm quite offended you haven't figured it out yet, I thought you were smarter than this."

I cursed as I noticed the caller was using a voice scrambler. Great, way to make my life even more complicated.

"Who are you?" I questioned again, this time a little frustrated.

"Breaking into someone's apartment is not exactly legal."

Liam mouthed, "Jamie Hill" to me.

"Well, being a psychotic bomber isn't exactly licit either," I replied back.

"You want to know who I am? Meet me at the docks Friday night, alone. Your questions will be answered then."

There was a long beep and only silence as I hung up the phone. I turned in my chair and looked at everybody.

"How did this Jamie Hill know that you worked with us?" Steven was pacing the room as we all put our heads together to try and figure out what our next plan would be.

"I don't know but I have a bad feeling about this, whoever he or she is, they wanted to make sure I didn't know exactly who it was."

"Are you going to the meet?" Asked Hailee, quite eager to help.

"Well I have to. I need answers and whoever this person is they almost killed thousands of innocent people, I'm not about to let that happen again."

"I agree, but I don't think you should go alone," added Liam.

"I won't be going alone, I'll have you, won't I?" My eyes met his and he stared at me, either looking for answers or trying to figure out what was going on in my chaotic mind.

My phone buzzed and I widened my eyes as I read the message on it, "Uhh guys, I have to go. I'll be back later."

I grabbed my jacket and walked out of Phoenix without even turning back to look at the others. I put my jacket on and walked towards the park.

I clenched my fists as I saw a hooded figure sitting on a bench next to the pond. I walked slowly and when I was close enough I halted.

"I thought I told you that I never wanted to see your face again."

The figure turned and looked at me, tears and redness in his eyes. Upon seeing his face I did not flinch or move from my position.

"Jadelyn,"

"Don't say my name. You don't have the right to say it. Now, what are you doing here?"

"Jade your mother just passed away."

"Yes, well you're a little late for the consoling part dad, I'm fine."

He looked at me as he got up from the park bench, "She was the love of my life Jade, and I wasn't here when sh- when she," he started sobbing and weeping. Before I knew it, he was on the ground on two knees infront of me.

I rolled my eyes and held his shirt trying to make him stand up, "Ughhh, cut the act dad. Last time I checked, you don't abandon your daughter and wife. You did it once and I will not let myself go through the pain again. It's a little late for you to reconcile with mum, reality check, she's lying in a hole in the ground at the Bradley Cemetery, feel free to visit when you can. Oh wait, I forgot, you never have time for family."

He stood up straight and adjusted his clothes, "Why can't you believe that I actually want to make amends with you?"

"Because you're nothing but a lying pig! Last time you were here you were running a drug business and Logan was trying to kill you, do you want to get killed?!"

"My ex wife just died! I'm trying to be sympathetic!"

"Exactly! Your ex! And as for sympathy, joke of the century, you don't have a heart."

I let him go and I took a step back, "If I were you, I'd leave and go back to which ever rotten hole you climbed out of. I just lost my mother and I lost you 6 years ago, that's enough grief for me to bear."

"Listen Jade, I will go, but I need to know something."

"What?" I questioned bluntly.

"When your mum and I were still together she said that she left all her money to me if something ever happened to her, I still need to know if that's the case."

I widened my eyes and I felt the anger get to me, "You're telling me that you came here just to get money! You're unbelievable!" I walked closer to him and clenched my fist, "You're here for a pay day? Well guess what 'dad'..." I said sarcastically, "The same day you decided to pack your bags and leave mum put her will under her sister's name, temporarily that is, until I turn 18 and the only way you will get a dime off of it is over my dead body."

I turned around, fixed my jacket and walked away, quickening my pace with each step I took. My dad turning up again stirred some unwanted feelings, I felt uneasy and dizzy, the world was spinning. I leaned against a pole and took a deep breath, steadying my breathing and taking a few minutes to calm the storm inside of me.

I inhaled deeply as my mind told me to go to the only place I felt comfortable, home.

I stood infront of my once upon a time abode as the memories flowed back to me. Ever since I found my mum bleeding to death on our bathroom floor, I could never bring myself to look at this place again. For one week I had been living with Hailee and her mother, they have been more than hospitable and I got a new place to call home, it's just that, a home barely a home without your mother.

I walked up the stairs and opened the door. It was so quiet and serene. It felt abandoned and obsolete. Who knew that the house I grew up in would one day become unrecognisable to me.

I walked through the kitchen, tracing the kitchen counter with my middle finger. I chuckled as I remembered the day my mum was teaching me how to make pancakes. I was only 12 and I kept messing up the recipe. She would tell me that the only thing missing is love. I would always deny it, but deep down I knew she was right. I could never bring myself to love anything because i believed that it made people weak. I loved my dad and look where that got me.

I walked to the fire place and picked up a photo of my mum and I. It was the first day she took me to Starbucks. I ordered a Caramel Frappuccino and fell in love with it since that day.

I placed the photo down and took a minute to inspect the place. I had ignored this place for too long. One day I will get back the home I once remembered. For now, I have a serial bomber to take care of and something tells me tomorrow will not go exactly as planned.

 For now, I have a serial bomber to take care of and something tells me tomorrow will not go exactly as planned