▪Chapter XVI▪

I walked down the metallic staircase, humming to myself as I got closer to the Phoenix headquarters.

I greeted everyone at the Base of Operations with a warm smile and to my surprise they smiled back.

"Hey Liam," I greeted as I approached his desk.

"Hey yourself, how did the Hexagon reconciliation go yesterday?"

"Good news, I'm in. Walked in there like nothing ever happened."

I felt proud of myself, double-crossing people who double-crossed me. Revenge couldn't taste any sweeter.

"That's awesome!"

"What's awesome?" asked Steven as he came towards us, reading a file that he was carrying. His military like posture and broad shoulders giving me the creeps with each step he took.

"Jade is back into Hexagon," said Liam enthusiastically.

"Fantastic! And I have a little surprise for you too."

"A surprise? For me? Out of the 7 billion people on this planet, me?" I questioned a little amazed.

"Yes, why not?"

I shook my head and smirked, "Suit yourself, but just to warn you, the last guy that surprised me can barely walk today."

He chuckled, ushering me to move forward.

"This desk is yours." He tapped his finger on the desk and I looked between him and the table. It was posh, like really expensive-looking posh. It was made of glass with white drawers. The desktop was even more to my liking, LED screen with curvy edges. Geez, this guy went all out.

"This probably costs more than my house!" I screamed.

"Maybe, maybe not."

"It's really mine?" I questioned.

"I don't see any other talented hackers around here to make use of it, so yeah."

"Thank you."

I sat down and logged onto my desktop, a tinge of excitement at the tip of my fingers as I touched each letter on the keypad.

"We have a case. Great time for you to use that new computer."

"Okay shoot."

He handed me the case file he was reading and I sifted through. There was an active bomb placed in a building on South Street.

"Did everybody evacuate the building?" I queried eagerly.

"Yes, the Bomb Squad tried to diffuse it but they said it could only be stopped automatically."

"Which is where I come in?"

"Yes, can you diffuse it?"

"I'll give it my best shot."

I was able to track the bomb. The person who placed it in the building put a GPS on it and I gladly hacked into the network. All the information was being fed to my computer in a matter of mere seconds.

"15 minutes until it explodes. Gosh this thing can cause serious damage."

"How do you know?" Questioned Liam who was assisting me.

"The amount of C4 used in this thing is enough to take out half the city."

"Well let's make sure it doesn't come to that, work your magic."

I started with hacking the network the bomb was connected to and I groaned in frustration, "Ughhhh, this thing is almost impossible to crack."

"10 minutes Jade."