The Coming of Celebriel

The writing seems awfully pretentious now, I was doing my best to imitate Tolkien's style. I was in my 20's and still taking myself so seriously, I have learned not to (to a certain extent). Don't know why I tried to make it so damn formal. If you can get past these first few chapters, I promise that anything that follows won't be written like this!!! I'm just leaving these first few chapters as they are an indulgence to my 20-year-old self.

I, Eldarion Telcontar, Second King of Gondor in the Fourth Age of Middle Earth, do hereby set down the "Lay of Celebriel" at the bequest of my beloved late mother, Queen Arwen Undomiel. For this is what she said to me long ago: "She was my dearest friend, with the exception of Elrond my father in the days before our estrangement. I would have the memory of her kept by my descendants lest her tale be forgotten. For it was she who gave me comfort when I was denied all other, and she who kept my spirits from sinking into total despair in the days before I married King Elessar."

And though I know not where my beloved mother's last resting place lies, I dedicate this to her, this story that she told me. And though I knew her not, I will treasure this story of Celebriel for my mother's sake, and I and my descendants will not forget her.

She was named Celebriel Laurelin for Laurelindorinan, which the elves now call Lothlorien.  Lord Celeborn and the Lady Galadriel had taken refuge there during the Great War. She had been conceived during the last days of the assault of the Last Alliance of Men and Elves upon Mordor, and Galadriel had felt the first movements of the babe in her womb at the same moment that Gil-galad and Elendil the Tall had perished upon Mount Orodruin.

Though she wished that this child might be a son she was glad still at the birth of another daughter. Celebrian her firstborn was betrothed to Elrond Half-Elven and would someday depart to make her dwelling there with him.

When the War, at last, was over, at Elrond's request the christening feast was held at his great house of Imladris. There were many of the Elven great present, and also a few of the house of Isildur, Elendil's son, for in those days the Last Alliance was still Fresh in the minds of men, and Elendil's heirs were not sundered from the Elder. Far and wide had they come to attend the solemnities, for the birth of this Elf-child was seen as a symbol of great hope, a sign that the Dark Days were surely over, and that peace would once more reign in Middle Earth.

But there was not all rejoicing. Instead of the gold of the Lady, or the Silver of the Lord, the baby was born with tresses of fiery red. Instead of sea grey, the baby's eyes were the green of emeralds. Though some declared this a miracle, to others it was a sign that the flames would rise once more from Amon Amarth, and that the Enemy would rise and war would again inflict itself on Middle Earth.

The child grew quickly, a marvel of dignity and grace. When Celebrian her sister went to Imladris to be wed, Celebriel attended her. Many who saw her were enamored of her, not the least Glorfindel of the Noldor who dwelt in the house of Elrond. So taken with her was he that he spent much time with her in the following days, teaching her to ride a horse without the aid of saddle or bridle, and at her request taught her to use a bow and arrows that he made for her himself.

As she grew older her skill with these greatly increased, and she learned also how to use a sword and javelin. Indeed anything that she was determined to master she did. If at times it seemed that she showed less interest in the more feminine pursuits than was proper, Galadriel did not redress her. She knew that there were times when the feminine things held her interest and that her daughter could even be vain of her appearance.

There was yet another thing that made Galadriel hold her peace. Celebriel bore an uncanny resemblance to her own brother, Finrod the Felagund, who had fallen defending the life of Beren One-hand. It was first she, then Celeborn, who had noticed this and as Celebriel grew older the resemblance became stronger, if not uncanny. Though Celebriel's hair was fiery red where Finrod's had been golden, the semblance was striking. It also seemed that his skill in arms was also being passed to her daughter. This troubled Galadriel greatly, but she would not speak of it.