Secrets out

As I entered Ruby's house, the air was thick with an unspoken tension. Jamal and I were trying to contain the secret of our kiss, an intimate moment we shared, and it felt like the walls were closing in on us. The weight of the unspoken truth hung in the air, adding an extra layer of complexity to our already complicated lives.

Olivia, seemingly unaware of the undercurrents, questioned, "Where's Cesar?" I rolled my eyes, feeling a mixture of annoyance and frustration. This girl was persistently trying to pry into my life, and I couldn't comprehend why she and Monse thought they deserved my time or energy.

"He's on a run, busy, you know, that gang stuff you hate," I replied, not bothering to make eye contact. The subtle jab aimed at their disapproval of the gang life was intentional, a way of asserting my autonomy and pushing back against their judgments.

A knock echoed through the house, and Jamal hurriedly opened the door. Oscar stood there, his expression filled with panic. Jamal gasped and promptly closed the door, and I couldn't help but be amused by his reaction. "Open the door, egg," I laughed, teasingly urging Jamal to let him in. Slowly, Jamal opened the door again.

Oscar delivered the news with urgency, "Seen Cesar; one of the homies got shot. If you see him, tell him I'm looking for him." Jamal nodded in acknowledgment before closing the door. The room fell into an uneasy silence, and Jamal, clearly unable to contain the secret any longer, stammered, "I, uh, gotta go do some homework." His attempt at an excuse was feeble, and it was evident that the weight of the unspoken truth lingered in the room.

As Jamal opened the door, Oscar barged in, and the blaring sirens outside signaled that the block was on lockdown. Instantly, worry gripped me, my thoughts consumed by Cesar's safety. "Aye, puta, this is why I told you not to send him on runs. Now look, no one knows where he is," I snapped at Oscar, my concern turning into frustration. Gasps filled the room, and everyone was visibly tense, wary of Oscar's intimidating presence. He just laughed, dismissing my outburst.

"Calm down, bub. You think they're hurting my boy," Oscar reassured, ruffling my hair affectionately. His gaze shifted between Olivia and me, and I nodded in understanding. He knew the disturbance caused by their actions and his immediate disapproval of someone bullying his sister to gain her favor. The room remained charged with tension, a mixture of anxiety for Cesar's safety and the unspoken dynamics between us.

Soon, everyone was engrossed in their own conversations when the door swung open. There stood Cesar. I rushed towards him, worry etched on my face. "I was worried sick," I exclaimed, slapping his arm lightly. He smiled and kissed my temple, understanding that safety trumps our differences. 

"You kissed Cesar!" Monse's scream cut through the room. Jamal and I exchanged relieved glances, knowing our secret was no longer the primary focus amidst the unfolding drama. The attention shifted as Ruby, shocked and hurt, accused Cesar: "You kissed Olivia!" The group, once tight-knit, seemed to be unraveling over a romantic entanglement, and I rolled my eyes, watching Ruby's heartbreak unfold as Olivia appeared oblivious to the impact of her actions on him.

"Thank god I couldn't keep this secret any longer," Jamal admitted, taking a breath. The room exploded with tension, and accusing glares were directed at him. "I know about you and Lani, and you betray me like this!" Ruby blurted out, his anger evident. I felt a rush of embarrassment and frustration, realizing Jamal had kept this secret from me.As Ruby's accusations hung in the air, I turned red, feeling the weight of everyone's eyes on me. The room became charged with anger and betrayal. I had been so preoccupied with my own emotions that I forgot about Oscar and Cesar. When I looked, Cesar was already charging towards Jamal.

"You put your hands on my baby sister! It was you! You wait!" Cesar's fury echoed in the room. Panic gripped me, and I screamed, "Oscar, stop him!" I rushed over as everyone fell silent. Monse smirked, reveling in the chaos she seemed to thrive on.

Oscar stepped in front of Cesar, shielding Jamal from his wrath. Cesar looked at me with hurt in his eyes. "You didn't even tell me, and yet Oscar knew before," he accused. I rolled my eyes, frustration bubbling up. "Look at how you're reacting, and clearly there are secrets you're hiding from me," I retorted, motioning to Olivia and Monse. The tension in the room escalated, and Jamal and I were caught in the crossfire, trying to navigate the fallout of our secret being laid bare.

"Cesar, Lani, we're leaving," Oscar snapped, grabbing his keys and heading for the door. He managed to cut through the chaos, refocusing everyone. "We have more places to be, more important ones than high school dramas and high school puta," Oscar declared, his gaze piercing through Monse. The intensity in his eyes silenced the room, and slowly, the group began to disperse, each person carrying their own share of frustration and resentment.

As the chaos continued behind me, with Ruby and Jamal's friendship hanging by a thread, I walked away from the scene, tears streaming down my face. The weight of the unfolding drama was overwhelming, and I felt a mix of frustration, anger, and hurt. Oscar's presence at the car signaled the need to leave this chaos behind, but not before addressing Olivia."Hey," Olivia snapped at me, trying to assert dominance. I turned around, wiping away the tears from my face. "What?"

"Leave Ruby alone," she demanded, attempting to stand over me. I glanced at Oscar, who shook his head, signaling that I didn't need another altercation. Taking a deep breath, I turned back to Olivia. "Look, if you could've kept your lips to yourself, none of this would've happened. You just had to touch shit that wasn't yours, and now look what happened," I said firmly, frustration evident in my voice. I couldn't let anyone else dictate my emotions in this already tumultuous moment.

I walked away, but not before casting a stern look at Ruby, stopping him in his tracks. "Yeah, this is different. It wasn't a silly crush with a girl you don't even know. So, thanks, Ruby," I stated, my voice cracking with emotion. Turning away, I continued towards the car, leaving the yelling and drama behind me.