First Gift

I returned my phone to Margaret and Jake told me he had to go do somethings and that he would catch me later.

So I was walking around the building alone and it was eerily quiet.

I reached the top of the steps and I noticed Xander's door. Come to think about it, it felt like I hadn't talked to him in a while. Maybe I should knock and see if he was still up.

As if on cue, the door opened and my eyes met his pair of green ones. He instantly smiled. His messy black hair brought out his eyes more.

"Hey" he says, through his smile.

"Hey Xander" he stepped out of the room and closed the door. Then he walked pass me to lean over the balcony as if he was looking for someone.

"What are you up to?" He says and looks at me up and down.

"Um, I'm heading to the room. Maybe get some sleep" I swallowed.

"Oh" his face went a little dark then.

"I kind of thought everyone was sleep, I didn't mean to make noise coming up stairs" I say, confused as to what I was saying. There wasn't not one noise I'd made coming up the stairs but who am I kidding, werewolves did have super inhuman hearing.

He laughed, "Zoe you didn't make noise" he walked toward me and stood close.

I looked into his eyes, "you sure? I mean, you have good hearing I heard"

"Oh yeah? Who told you that?" He smiled and reached out to touch my hair.

"Some guy. I think his name was Xander" I looked away from his eyes and I heard him release another small laugh.

Then his hands trailed from my hair up my arms and to my face over my lip. His thumb went under my chin and he made me look at him, "what's behind those beautiful eyes Zoe?" he whispered.

Before I could say anything he let go, "come to my door in the morning before class please" he walked toward his door and my heart sank, "I wanna walk to class with you"

"Okay sure" I said then and I began to walk away, "hey Zoe?"

I stopped and turned around, he was still in the door, "sweet dreams"

I smiled then and he shut his door and I walked toward my room.

When I got there, Mia was already asleep, I guess she couldn't wait.

I went over to my side and checked the time on the alarm clock. It was 11pm.

I went to the bathroom and then I hopped in bed. I just layed there, staring up at the ceiling. Then I looked over at the light shining through the window from the moon.

I loved the moon, and so did mom. She used to call me her moon child. I always thought about how she came up with the name and all but I learned to like it.

A smile played across my lips but was replaced with a frown as I thought about mom. I missed her so much but there was nothing I could do about it. I wanted to talk to her, to hear her voice at least once. I couldn't.

My eyes started to burn till I let myself drift off into a deep sleep. Before I did, I thought about everything. My parents, Xander, Jake, my new gifts, my friends and how much it took in me not to just go running toward those high rollers and kill them for what pain they caused.

My eyes shut then, and I swear I could feel the beautiful light from the moon get brighter and hotter as if it was climbing through my window.

~.~.~.~