thirty

TURNS OUT jeongguk didn't have to do much of a search to find jihun considering he received a call from the police telling him that they have been cleaning out some cases, taehyung's was one of them, and he wanted to inform them of their most recent arrest—jihun, himself. since it wasn't jeongguk who put him in the hole, it happened to be the fact that he has been stalking his little sister on the side only to try and rob her, since jeongguk had helped taehyung get full responsibility over their bank accounts. that was all the evidence they needed to know that the guy was not exactly the brightest.

he has not told taehyung yet. he wanted to keep it for tonight–their first proper date, where he will ask taehyung to be his boyfriend and for him to officially move in with him. it may be too soon to most for moving in together, but he figures they are way past that. he practically lives there anyway but the days taehyung leaves (only because he thinks he outstayed his welcome) are hard on jeongguk. he needs his baby boy at all times.

"baby," jeongguk calls, entering his room. it is noon and the blonde is still fast asleep. the light shines through the curtains, bouncing off of taehyung's skin and giving the room a warm honey tint. he sits next to the boy, shaking him softly as to not spook him. "wake up, angel, i have something to propose."

taehyung's eyes opened and boy were they wide. his mouth gaped, "you're going to propose?"

"geez, tae, no. i mean, i wouldn't be against you being my husband but one step at a time, hm?" he moves fluffy hair out of his lovers eyes, dimming in size but no less happy. "i'm telling you that we are going on a date tonight. or, asking, but yeah. a date."

taehyung gasped, smug smile on his face. "are you trying to wine and dine me, handsome?"

"i'm trying to get you to agree to my offer. tell me yes or else i will probably cry and you do not want to have to deal with that," he chuckled nervously.

"of course i'll go on a date with my favorite gukkie!"

jeongguk squinted. "are you implying there is more of me?"

"yeah," taehyung reached over for the bunny he got at build-a-bear. "this is other gukkie."

has jeongguk ever mentioned that he is fond?

__________

he did not want this date to be traditional. he wanted taehyung's day to be full of fun, treasurable memories for him to hold onto and cherish. whether or not taehyung says yes, he will have a good day. it will be okay.

or at least that's what he tries to think until he is standing in front of taehyung in his outfit for their day. he is left with the wavering question of does he even deserve taehyung? after everything, does he genuinely believe that he is good enough for this boy? doubt over the taunting question comes at him, and he has trouble breathing for a moment.

jeongguk tears up a little, waving over a now worried taehyung so he is in his arms

jeongguk tears up a little, waving over a now worried taehyung so he is in his arms. taehyung rests his chin on the younger's chest so he can look up at him properly, "why are you crying on our date? is this what you call proper date etiquette?"

"shh, i'm having a moment," jeongguk hushes, and when taehyung tries to speak up again, he puts a finger on his lips. "hush, bub, i'm holding the cutest boy in the universe and i need to process that."

"can you process it in the car when we're driving to the mystery place?" taehyung whines albeit blushing from the other boy's comment. jeongguk sniffles, nodding before guiding taehyung to the car door. he opens it for him and taehyung happily says "point one for gukkie!" for the manners. when he gets inside the car, though, and looks over to taehyung who is smiling excitedly at him, he explodes.

"hey, what, why are you crying?" taehyung giggles. "i need to teach you proper date behavior."

jeongguk reaches over for taehyung's hands, taking them in his own and kisses over his knuckles. "you are so pretty, taehyung. i'm so lucky."

taehyung shakes his head fondly, "you are too cute."

"no you," says a devastated jeongguk. "you are cute. the cutest, the absolute most adorable little fluff that is so beautiful. you're a cute, beautiful baby."

the blonde side-eyes him. "are you high?"

_________

they are at a planetarium and jeongguk's hands are sweating from where they have been in his jean pockets. he nearly flinches when taehyung excitedly takes his clammy hand in his soft, moisturized one to show him a constellation. taehyung raises his eyebrows, "why are you so nervous?"

"are those space pants?"

taehyung looked down at his pants, "umm... no?"

"because your ass is out of this world," jeongguk squeaked. what happened to his pride? did he forget to bring it?

"thank you... for that, jeongguk."

"are you an alien?"

taehyung sighed.

"because you abducted my heart," jeongguk nosed taehyung's cheek, sensing he is getting irritated and he knows physical affection calms him down. "sorry, sorry, one more."

"remind me never to say yes to a date with you ever again—"

"will you be my boyfriend?"

taehyung's jaw dropped, eyes watering. "that's not a pickup line."

"no?" jeongguk smirked, no longer feeling nervous as he watches his baby blush and try to hide his tears. he takes him into his arms, hushing him but making sure when he looks down, he could still see his face. "aren't you going to answer my question?"

"yes, i'll be your boyfriend," taehyung sobbed, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend. "i'm so happy."

jeongguk smiled, blinking wetly to get rid of his own forming tears of happiness. "do you want to move in with me?"

"jeongguk!"

that was a yes.

__________

the following week was full of cuddles, kisses, and sweet reassurances. they both kept overusing the term boyfriend because they are still getting used to being boyfriends. they have both wanted that for a long time.

taehyung had told him while they laid awake, holding each other and touching the others faces with loving fingertips that he was relieved he was with someone who respected him. he liked knowing that the man he would wake up with in the morning is the same man who reassured him in every worry he has, every failure, and every accomplishment. he liked knowing that the same man who was next to him still thinks taehyung is sexy when he is covered in paint, or messy from sleep with gross bed breath. he liked knowing he was safe, happy, and loved fully for who he is.

he absolutely loved being jeongguk's boyfriend. it only multiplied when jeongguk whispered to him, "i kind of forgot to tell you during our date but jihun is locked up. he won't bother you for a long while, baby."

"this is the best week of my life."

and he meant it, too.