{EIGHT}

{EIGHT}

"Who was that with you anyways? He looked like a kid from my school." Eric was annoyed, it was a little after ten and I had just dropped Scott off back at his place fifteen minutes ago, and if I was being totally honest I almost missed his presence. He kept making snide little comments during the movie, and normally that would annoy me but I couldn't help but laugh at everything he had said. There was just this air about him that I couldn't pass up or stay mad at. And he seemed to have let everything with Eric go, throughout the whole movie, and the car ride home he never brought it up at all. Which made me feel hopeful that Eric wouldn't bring it up either.

But of course, he would. Who did I think he was?

How could my kids not be nosey with parents like Janet and I. It's just in our genetics. We were just naturally nosey people.

We didn't stop talking. We had a lot in common, we liked the same hockey team, drank the same beer, like the same shows. He went to private schools in Rowtin, a bigger city a couple towns over, it was a more... posh city compared to the city of WestHamter where we lived, and I grew up. But he came from money, his father was a lawyer, like his grandfather before him, and his grandfather before that was a doctor. His mother was a therapist, her family owned a hotel chain, He had an older sister who was a doula and married lawyer. It almost made me jealous. Sure I have a good job and I made good money, but I didn't grow up with money, and neither did Janet or her family. We were simple.

But that was okay, friendship was all about two people coming in from different walks of life and getting along.

"It was just a work friend Eric, and he's a lawyer. Unless they're teaching law in your school now I doubt he goes there." Eric slumped in his seat, pulling out his cell phone and doing God knows what on it.

That night in bed, Janet was pulled up close to me, her front to my back, she was asleep before I had gotten home, she and Morgan had cleaned up from supper and judging from the fridge there were leftovers. Eric went right to his bedroom when we got home, and I just laid away in bed, until around twelve when my phone vibrated and lit up the dark room.

Now, I'm not one to look at my phone while trying to sleep, but I couldn't help myself. I stretched my hand out towards the rectangle on my nightstand and clicked the screen back on, seeing a message from Scott.

Scott.R: Had a great time 2night. Needed it, thanks :)

Sidney: No problem :)

I needed to stop thinking about him, I turned over pressing send, closing eyes and trying to turn my brain off, until the glow of my phone had me snapping my eyes open.

And with that, I ended up texting Scott until I ultimately fell asleep with my phone laying bedside my head, at around two-thirty in the morning with work the next day.

I felt like a zombie. Janet gave me my lunch with a kiss on the cheek, and I had to fight my eyes to stay open on the way to work. That stupid car was still in my spot and I started to ponder if I should just park in front of it and say fuck it. How early did this person get here to beat me to my spot every morning?

With a grunt I parked in a different stall and shuffled my way to the coffee shop, ordering an extra large coffee and burning my mouth in the process of drinking it.

"Hey!" I nearly jumped out of my sink, thankful that the coffee was no longer at my lips, or it would have been spit all over me. Instead, the lip let a few drops of hot coffee hit my hand, I quickly dropped it onto the nearby counter and wiped my hands off before looking at a bright-eyed Scott.

God, I swear this man was on crack.

"How are you so cheerful right now?" I grumbled, picking my coffee back up and taking another long sip.

"I have court today, if I'm not cheerful I'll crash and melt into a puddle on the floor. Plus it's my first time in court and I'm kind of excited and spend a good chunk of my night texting a good looking guy," I rolled my eyes, trying to fight the feeling in my chest and face. Was he flirting with me? Surely not, I mean why would he waste his time with flirting with me, we were just good friends. Or on our way to being good friends.

"Good luck in court today. I have to lecture a sixteen-year-old girl on why she needs to brush her braces after every meal." I smirked, as I started towards the stairs, Scott close behind me.

"Ugh," Scott said with a shutter. "sounds like you've got a good day ahead of you."

"Oh yes, a smashing day." I chuckled, stopping at my floor. "I feel like death because some kid wouldn't stop texting me last night."

"Nobody said you had to reply." He teased, "Anyways, I wanted to ask you if you wanted to join me and some friends on Saturday night down at Finnley's, my buddies having a going away party, said I could invite whoever I wanted. Feel free to ask your own friends, and don't feel obligated to go, I know an old man like you needs to be in bed by nine six nights of the week to keep function."

"Oh, that was low," I growled, but smirked at the same time, shaking my head dismissively. "Sure, I'll ask a friend if he wants to join. Tell me how court goes." I said, trying to quickly get away from this situation I got myself into with the shameless flirting, flirting that should not, and defiantly was happening right now.

"Great! I'll text you." Scott said before racing up the rest of the stairs. I just kept shaking my head before heading into my office and slumping down into my desk chair.

What was I getting myself into?

1075